[DeTomaso] Kirby's new engine (Re: NPC, but it's a Ford!)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jan 25 23:44:47 EST 2015

Kirby,
Nice photos and a lot of detail left out for the unwashed masses.

Points I picked up:
- Drilling the main journals for direct oil squirting to the pistons and
slotting it to provide the oil.  Nice touch, I'd always thought it was
done through the rod.
- Needle bearings for the cam; I've always wanted to use those, let us
know how they work out.
- Using feeler gauges to prevent twisting of the rod ends while torquing.
- Chamferring the rod ends with a lathe to clear the crank
- Plastigage showed less clearance than the math method (I presume),
meaning it's best to add .0005 to anything you read with plastigage;
good to know.

And now the unanswered questions:
- What kind of core plugs were used?  You mentioned o-ring style but
I've never seen anything like that.
- Detail on the exhaust port side of the head.  It looks like the method
used was the one where the ports are sawed off and a replacement plate
is put on raising the ports.  Can you provide more detail there?
- Stock 4V Cleveland heads?  What rocker arm solution did you use?  It
looks nice but I can't quite figure out how it goes on?  Is machining of
the stock pedestals required?
- Was it a roller cam?  What lifters did you use?  it's apparent they
are tied together but I don't think I've ever seen that style before.
- Dry sump pan?  Can you provide more detail?  Is the pan baffled?  How?
- I know we've talked about this before, but....  assuming tapered seat
plugs, how did you index them?  I thought you had to have the heads off
to index them, how did you do it?  (I've -never- done it mind you).
- Oh, and I assume this was a stroker.  Correct?

Again, nice photos.  Let us know what the chassis dyno numbers come out
to. :)
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie