[DeTomaso] New Tires a Challenge - Part Deux

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Sat Jan 24 12:36:53 EST 2015

Charles - good morning.  Later today I hope to take 5332 out for her first drive since putting in a year and a bit cleaning up all the stupid things done to her in the past and upgrading her brakes, suspension, steering, transmission (overdrive 5th) and engine.  She came with a set of 17's on her, so her first trip will be to a paint shop to roll the front fenders, and clean up the paint on the lips where it has been damaged by the 245/45 17's.

I plan to go back to the original 15 inch rims, but the rims are still being refinished so will initially run her with the 17's.

I have bought a set of Goodrich T/A's but have not yet driven them.  255/60 on the rear, 215/60 on the front.  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=true&performance=ALL&frontWidth=215%2F&frontRatio=60&frontDiameter=15&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=60&rearDiameter=15
My question is which would be better on 15 inch rims - the Goodrich T/A's, with their "vintage" tread design and, according to Tire Rack, not all that up-to-date compounding.  Or, a set of the new Michelin Premier V-rated SUV tires.  Before snorting in indignation, hear me out.  Then, well, snort in indignation if you so desire.

I put a set of Premiers on my 70 XKE.  205/65 15's.  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS&partnum=065VR5PREAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes Then went on an 800 mile tour of the Olympic peninsula.  OH MY GOD - the improvement on the last set of Pirelli 6000's that were on the car.  Amazingly quiet, great ride, good traction, both wet and dry.  I was gobsmacked.  And my wife loved them because of how much quieter they are.

Funny, the XKE originally came with 185/70's, just like the early Pantera's.

So, to my mind the question is, which will have better rear traction on a Pantera:  Up to date compounded Premiers at 205's, or dated 255 T/A's?   I strongly suspect that the Premiers will win, hands down, if there is any moisture on the road.  BUT - there is a heck of a difference in the width on the road.  Flip side, if the tire pressures are the same, the contact patch will be the same...

At this point, just a thought.  But, in as much as I have a spare set of 7 inch rims, I plan to see how the T/A's do, and if not impressed, I will likely put a set of Premiers on 5332 and see how she does.

The above has no relevance to those who think the car looks best with the rear fenders full and don't care if the front tires rub the inner fenders and require rolling fender lips to keep from tearing them up.  It also has no relevance for folks who plan to track their cars.  But, for those few of us who are old enough to (hopefully) not exceed our driving skills and who enjoy a compliant ride even if there is some sidewall flex...

Stephen Nelson