[DeTomaso] Radiator Cap with Valve Stem for Pressurizing Radiator

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Tue Jan 20 13:37:46 EST 2015

I wanted to pressurize 5332's cooling system to look for leaks.  While one can always start the car and let it warm up, I was looking for something faster.  Years ago I had taken a radiator cap, removed the "guts" and drilled a hole in the cap.  I then cut a circle out of an inner tube with the valve stem in the middle of the circle.  Circle cut to match inside diameter of cap.  With the valve stem sticking through the hole in the cap I had a ready method for pressuring up a cooling system.

Of course, this also makes it possible to explode a cooling system if too much pressure is applied.  In the case of our Panera's I pressurize the swirl tank and put the regular pressure cap on the reservoir - thereby limiting the amount of pressure that the cooling system sees.

While I have one of those nifty pumps that attach directly to the radiator cap, I find this is a lot easier.

Hope this is of interest to a few of you.  Oh, it would be great if those of you with similar simple tricks could post them on the forum.  I am sure lots of you folks have found ways to do things that make car work easier.

Stephen Nelson