[DeTomaso] New Ford GT Twin Turbo V6

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:55:08 EST 2015

Okay, that's evil.  I forgot briefly what a six could sound like.

:)
sean

--
   Okay, that's evil.A  I forgot briefly what a six could sound like.
   :)

   On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM, [1]michael at michaelshortt.com
   <[2]michael at michaelshortt.com> wrote:

   You can hear it here.
   [3]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-qSRnqUZg
   [4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMD3Vu3xL-c
   Michael Shortt

   On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Sean Korb <[5]spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:

     A  A I also think the sound is something I really want to keep.AA
     But I also
     A  A think the Buick GN motor is the answer to a lot of questions
     that have
     A  A not been asked yet.AA  All cars should come with one as the
     base
     A  A platform.
     A  A sean
     A  A On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Curt Hall
     <[1][6]cuvee at sbcglobal.net>
     A  A wrote:
     A  A  A AA  A For me...as Cool as the twin turbo V6 or even a turbo
     4 may
     A  A  A be,...I
     A  A  A AA  A would think the sound from those two Engines in a
     Pantera would
     A  A  A just
     A  A  A AA  A sound wrong! But that's just me. That said...I also
     believe...
     A  A  A What
     A  A  A AA  A Ever Float Your Boat! It's your Car! I would still
     enjoy seeing
     A  A  A it!
     A  A  A AA  A Curt
     A  A  A AA  A On Friday, January 16, 2015 12:08 PM,
     A  A  A "[2][7]michael at michaelshortt.com"
     A  A  A AA  A <[3][8]michael at michaelshortt.com> wrote:
     A  A  A AA  AA  A The crate version is 365 hp, 417 lbs at around
     $8,500
     A  A  A AA  AA  A Michael Shortt
     A  A  A AA  AA  A On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Dave
     A  A  A <[1][1][4][9]dave at damardirect.com>
     A  A  A AA  A wrote:
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A Take a look at the engine specs on the 85-87
     Buick GN, 6
     A  A  A cyl. I
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A understand that was years ago but at the time,
     85-87, it
     A  A  A was the
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A fastest US production car. It was a big car
     compared to
     A  A  A sports
     A  A  A AA  A cars.
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A It met its demise because of Corvette
     management.
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A IndyDave
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A From: [2][2][5][10]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A [mailto:[3][3][6][11]cengles at cox.net]
     A  A  A AA  AA  AA  A Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 10:53 AM
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Cc: [4][4][7][12]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] New Ford GT Twin Turbo V6
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Dear Forum,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  In a
     coincidence, there is
     A  A an interesting
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A article in the new Road and Track about
     turbocharging modern
     A  A AA  A engines
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A in modern sports
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A cars.AAA  A FWIW.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  Full
     disclosure:AAA  complete
     A  A article is Rare
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Forced Air on
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A page 27-28 in the Feb 2015 Road&Track by Jason
     Cammisa.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  A These are my
     selected
     A  A highlights from that
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A article.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Complete disclosure: I am not a fan of
     turbos.AAA  I prefer
     A  A normally
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A aspirated engines for a number of reasons and
     this article
     A  A supports
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A my
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A opinion.AAA  While the new Ford GT has a twin
     turbo Ecotec
     A  A V-6, I
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A would
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A prefer it to have a normally aspirated Coyote or
     the new
     A  A flat crank
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A V8.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A A From Jason Cammisa:
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A aWe donat like the turbo,a said theAAA  man with
     an Italian
     A  A accent,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A abut it
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A is the right way to reduce emissions without
     sacrificing
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A performance.a
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A A rare moment of honesty, then a graceful
     slingshot into the
     A  A same
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A turbo
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A spin weave heard from all corners of the globe.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A The fact is, every car company is being forced
     into forced
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A induction,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A for the exact reasons our Italian friend
     gave.AAA  Since
     A  A neither he
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A nor the
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A company he works for, Ferrari, can come out and
     say it, I
     A  A will:
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Turbos
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A arenat the best solution, especially for
     high-performance
     A  A cars, and
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A they
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A donat always provide the benefits that carmakers
     claim they
     A  A do.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Turbos, which are powered by exhaust energy that
     is
     A  A otherwise
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A wasted,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A increase engine output by forcing extra air into
     the
     A  A cylinders,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A prompting the fuel injectors to provide more fuel
     for
     A  A combustion.A
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A More
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A combustion, alas, means more heat.AAA  To keep
     the engine
     A  A from
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A overheating,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A turbo engines inject excess gas under boost.AAA
     It seems
     A  A counter
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A intuitive, but this arich mixturea cools down
     combustion and
     A  A AA  A reduces
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A exhaust temperatures.AAA  It is also a double
     whammy fuel
     A  A economy
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A killer,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A because burning that extra fuel doesnat help the
     engine make
     A  A more
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A power,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A it actually reduces output.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A a|.out in the real world, riding that big,
     effortless wave
     A  A of
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A boosted
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A midrange torque means burning extra fuelaand
     creating even
     A  A more
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A CO2.AAA  So
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A much for reducing emissions.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Performance, in this sense, refers solely to
     A  A acceleration.AAA  The
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Ferrari
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A California Tas turbo 3.9 liter 553 hp V8 easily
     outmuscles
     A  A the old
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Californiaas naturally aspirated 4.3 liter 483 hp
     v8.AA
     A  A Mission
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A accomplished.AAA  Except thereas more to an
     engineas behavior
     A  A than
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A going
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A fast in a straight line.AAA  The way the engine
     generates
     A  A power aits
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A personality, if you will---is just as important
     as the
     A  A numbers.AAA  A
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A For
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A the entire history of the marque, Ferrarias
     engines have
     A  A delivered
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A urgency and drama in lockstep with revs, creating
     a festival
     A  A of
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A sound
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A and fury as they raced toward a redline.AAA
     Ferrari engines
     A  A love to
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A rev,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A which is one of the main reasons we love
     Ferraris.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Once thereas a turbo impeller muffling the
     screaming glory
     A  A of that
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A prancing horse, youare talking about an entirely
     different
     A  A animal.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Engines with turbos big enough to provide boost
     throughout
     A  A the
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A operating
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A range produce peak torque at low revs and then
     gradually run
     A  A out of
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A steam, like turbodiesels do.AAA  To combat that,
     A  A gas-powertrain
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A engineers
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A artificially create broad torque plateaus by
     limiting boost
     A  A at
     A  A AA  A lower
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A engine speeds.AAA  That electronic trickery helps
     the engine
     A  A more
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A closely
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A emulate a naturally aspirated one, but even that
     isnat
     A  A enough for
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Ferrari.AAA  The California Tas computer also
     looks at gear
     A  A position
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A and
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A limits max boost in lower gears to encourage its
     driver to
     A  A revel in
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A the
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A gears.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Turbo lag.AAA  Ferrari claims the Californiaas
     new turbo
     A  A engine has
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A azero
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A turbo laga and ainstantaneous response,a then
     defines
     A  A response time
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A as,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A aless than one second.a Really?AAA  In a car that
     can hit 60
     A  A mph in
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A three
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A seconds, one second, is anything but
     instantaneous.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Immediate, predictable response is a requirement
     in any
     A  A driveras
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A car.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Naturally aspirated engines react without delay
     to throttle
     A  A inputs,
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A but
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A a turbo engine is vastly more complicated.AAA  It
     has two
     A  A torque
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A curvesaone
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A when it is off boost and one when it is at full
     puff.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A A naturally aspirated engineas output is
     determined by the
     A  A position
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A of
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A the pedal and the engine speed, period.AAA
     Turbos change
     A  A that into a
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A complicated matrix with far too many variables
     for a driver
     A  A to keep
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A track of.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A Modern Ferraris do what you ask, when you ask,
     how you
     A  A ask.AAA  They
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A are
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A pretty much perfect.AAA  Although their forth
     coming
     A  A turbocharged
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A replacements will almost certainly be faster, I
     fear they
     A  A will be
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A undriveable without assistance from an onboard
     A  A supercomputer.
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A It as sad that the marquee feels compelled by
     government
     A  A policy to
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A bolt
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A turbos on to their lovely engines, when it wonat
     make a whit
     A  A of
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A difference to air quality.AAA  A And it is doubly
     sad that we
     A  A all
     A  A AA  A know
     A  A AA  AA  AA  A it
     A  A AA  AA  A will change the way Ferraris drive.a
     A  A AA  AA  A AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA  AAA
     AAA  AAA  A Warmest
     A  A regards,AAA  Chuck Engles
     A  A AA  AA  A _______________________________________________
     A  A AA  AA  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
     A  A AA  AA  A DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A  A AA  AA  A [5][5][8][13]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A
     [6][6][9][14]http://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A To manage your subscription (change email address,
     A  A  A unsubscribe, etc.)
     A  A  A AA  AA  A use the links above.
     A  A  A AA  AA  A --
     A  A  A AA  AA  A Michael L. Shortt
     A  A  A AA  AA  A Savannah, Georgia
     A  A  A AA  AA  A [7][10][15]www.michaelshortt.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A [8][7][11][16]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A [12]912-232-9390
     A  A  A AA  AA  A A
     A  A  A AA  AA  A This email is protected by the Electronic
     Communications
     A  A  A Privacy
     A  A  A AA  AA  A Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and
     may be
     A  A  A legally
     A  A  A AA  AA  A privileged.AAA  If you are not the intended
     recipient, you
     A  A  A are hereby
     A  A  A AA  AA  A notified
     A  A  A AA  AA  A that any retention, dissemination, distribution or
     copying
     A  A  A of this
     A  A  A AA  AA  A communication is strictly prohibited.AAA  Please
     reply to the
     A  A  A sender
     A  A  A AA  A that
     A  A  A AA  AA  A you
     A  A  A AA  AA  A have received this message in error, then delete
     it.AA
     A  A  A Thank you
     A  A  A AA  A References
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 1. mailto:[8][13][17]dave at damardirect.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 2. mailto:[9][14][18]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 3. mailto:[10][15][19]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 4. mailto:[11][16][20]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 5. mailto:[12][17][21]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 6.
     A  A
     A [13][18][22]http://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.com
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 7.
     A  A  A AA  A [14][19][23]http://www.michaelshortt.com/
     A  A  A AA  AA  A 8. mailto:[15][20][24]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  A  A AA  A _______________________________________________
     A  A  A AA  A [16][21][25]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  A
     [17][22][26]http://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.com
     A  A  A AA  A To manage your subscription (change email address,
     unsubscribe,
     A  A  A etc.)
     A  A  A AA  A use the links above.
     A  A  A References
     A  A  A AA  A 1. mailto:[23][27]dave at damardirect.com
     A  A  A AA  A 2. mailto:[24][28]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A AA  A 3. mailto:[25][29]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A AA  A 4. mailto:[26][30]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  A 5. mailto:[27][31]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  A 6.
     A  A  A AA  A 7. mailto:[29][33]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  A  A AA  A 8. mailto:[30][34]dave at damardirect.com
     A  A  A AA  A 9. mailto:[31][35]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A AA  10. mailto:[32][36]cengles at cox.net
     A  A  A AA  11. mailto:[33][37]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  12. mailto:[34][38]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A AA  13.
     A  A  A AA  14. [36][40]http://www.michaelshortt.com/
     A  A  A AA  15. mailto:[37][41]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  A AA  16. mailto:[38][42]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A AA  17.
     A  A  A [40][44]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A To manage your subscription (change email address,
     unsubscribe,
     A  A  A etc.) use the links above.
     A  A --
     A  A Sean Korb [42][46]spkorb at spkorb.org
     [43][47]http://www.spkorb.org
     A  A '65,'68 Mustangs,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71
     Pantera
     A  A #1382
     A  A "The more you drive, the less intelligent you get" --Miller
     A  A "Computers are useless.AA  They can only give you answers." -P.
     Picasso
     References
     A  A 1. mailto:[48]cuvee at sbcglobal.net
     A  A 2. mailto:[49]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  A 3. mailto:[50]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  A 4. mailto:[51]dave at damardirect.com
     A  A 5. mailto:[52]cengles at cox.net
     A  A 6. mailto:[53]cengles at cox.net
     A  A 7. mailto:[54]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A 8. mailto:[55]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  10. [57]http://www.michaelshortt.com/
     A  11. mailto:[58]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  12. tel:[59]912-232-9390
     A  13. mailto:[60]dave at damardirect.com
     A  14. mailto:[61]cengles at cox.net
     A  15. mailto:[62]cengles at cox.net
     A  16. mailto:[63]detomaso at poca.com
     A  17. mailto:[64]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  19. [66]http://www.michaelshortt.com/
     A  20. mailto:[67]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  21. mailto:[68]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  23. mailto:[70]dave at damardirect.com
     A  24. mailto:[71]cengles at cox.net
     A  25. mailto:[72]cengles at cox.net
     A  26. mailto:[73]detomaso at poca.com
     A  27. mailto:[74]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  29. mailto:[76]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  30. mailto:[77]dave at damardirect.com
     A  31. mailto:[78]cengles at cox.net
     A  32. mailto:[79]cengles at cox.net
     A  33. mailto:[80]detomaso at poca.com
     A  34. mailto:[81]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  36. [83]http://www.michaelshortt.com/
     A  37. mailto:[84]michael at michaelshortt.com
     A  38. mailto:[85]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  40. mailto:[87]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  42. mailto:[89]spkorb at spkorb.org
     A  43. [90]http://www.spkorb.org/
     etc.) use the links above.

   --
   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [94]michael at michaelshortt.com
   [95]912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you

   --
   Sean Korb [96]spkorb at spkorb.org [97]http://www.spkorb.org