[DeTomaso] Real GT5 for sale

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 18:59:16 EST 2015

I had previously sent the link to this auction to a friend in Europe as I think this represents a great value GT5 at the BIN price and that is despite the lack of the all important Campi wheels which will set you back $10K..... but it needs them back badly. I have to wonder what happens to all these original wheels as I have seen so many wide body cars for sale without them.

On the question of compatibility and interchange with early cars; everything with De Tomaso depends on what was available and more so on the 9,000 series cars as they were literally hand built at this point after Ford's departure and anything could be had by way of options for a price. My early GT5 #9178 is prior to later changes on the e-brake location and addition of the Maserati Bi Turbo vacuum heater and A/C controls.

The engine bay inner fenders are squared off as Embo was building coaches for De Tomaso at this point, brakes are different Girling GR3 (if still original) and rear uprights beefier with different wheel bearings and axles. Sway bars are the GTS 7/8" diameter (although I've gone upt o 1"). FWIW the rear bulkhead window has a defroster/heat trace built in! Interior is the crinkle leather and burl wood as can be seen, but on my car pretty much everything else is interchangeable with a 70's Pantera.

This is stated as Euro spec car, but it does have the US spec fender side lights/reflectors so not sure how it came into the Country. John Scotti imported a number of GT5 cars to Canada, so perhaps this is one of them and stayed local all its life. There should not be an issue with importing it into the US given that it is more than 25 years old. I just moved to Canada and exported my GT5 with me, no hassle except haggling on valuation as it impacted the amount of tax Revenue Canada were due.

Julian