[DeTomaso] Letter to Voting POCA Members

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Tue Jan 13 12:36:00 EST 2015

OUTSTANDING Response Mike Drew.

As always, an Officer and a Gentleman.

Michael Shortt

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   OUTSTANDING Response Mike Drew.
   As always, an Officer and a Gentleman.
   Michael Shortt

   On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Mark Charlton

     Very well stated Mike.
     Mark Charlton
     [2]pantera01826 at rogers.com

   <[3]detomaso at poca.com> wrote:
   >A  A In a message dated 1/12/15 11 53 46, [4]LaurieFerrari at aol.com
   writes:

   >A  A  A As a POCA member, I am asking for a REVOTE and hope that
   others will
   >A  A  A second and agree to back up this request as a motion!

   >A  A record as saying that I am *against* such a proposition.
   >A  A While everything you say about the corruption associated with
   this
   >A  A recent election is true (and there's much more besides that), and
   your
   >A  A indignation is amply justified, I have taken a rather
   philosophical
   >A  A stance on the matter.
   >A  A I strongly believe that if the election had *not* been rigged,
   and Mike
   >A  A Haney ran an aggressive campaign, more likely than not he would
   have
   >A  A won the election anyway.A  Not only because of the fact that
   Profiles
   >A  A production has diminished markedly in recent years (never mind
   the
   >A  A various reasons for it, since I was in charge it's easy to assign
   blame
   >A  A to me), but also because of that 'new car smell' associated with
   an
   >A  A unknown, eager volunteer.A  For that reason, I haven't felt any
   >A  A compulsion to attempt to challenge the results.
   >A  A I have known Mike Haney for going on 25 years and we've been good
   >A  A friends all that time, and will continue to be so.A  Although
   many
   >A  A reprehensible things were done by a handful of unethical POCA
   board
   >A  A members to ensure that the election results came out as they did,
   >A  A have yet to see the slightest indication that Mike himself had
   anything
   >A  A to do with any of that.A  I am filled with admiration for anybody
   who
   >A  A puts his hand up to volunteer to serve, especially in a job that
   is as
   >A  A grueling and thankless as this one, and I for one appreciate his
   >A  A willingness to enter the fray and attempt to keep the magazine
   going.
   >A  A Regardless of how you might feel about how the election
   transpired, the
   >A  A simple fact is that Mike Haney is now in charge, and he is going
   >A  A need a lot of support if he is to be successful.A  While arguably
   he is
   >A  A more skilled than I am at the mechanics of assembling a magazine,
   the
   >A  A act of laying out text and photos represents perhaps 10% of the
   total
   >A  A job, at most.A  The remaining 90% involves networking, soliciting
   >A  A contributions, fact-checking, editing, traveling to events, etc.
   etc.
   >A  A etc. and that is where he is going to need the support of
   everybody in
   >A  A the club.A  So I am urging everyone to avoid the temptation to
   hold him
   >A  A responsible for the bad acts of others, and do whatever they can
   >A  A help him to ensure that Profiles doesn't simply roll over and
   die.
   >A  A I would also urge people to avoid blaming POCA, as an entity, for
   this
   >A  A situation.A  A surprising number of people have told me that they
   plan
   >A  A to quit the club in protest, and there is at least one chapter
   that has
   >A  A viewed this as the final straw after what they feel is a series
   of bad
   >A  A acts (unrelated to the election) and is considering formally
   >A  A disassociating themselves from POCA entirely.A  I view both of
   these as
   >A  A being deeply disturbing and counterproductive and have been
   stridently
   >A  A arguing against such actions.
   >A  A To me, POCA is not the handful of people who are responsible for
   all
   >A  A this ire; instead, POCA is the many hundreds of people all across
   the
   >A  A country and around the world who together share passion for De
   Tomaso
   >A  A cars, as well as the friendship and fellowship that normally
   follows.
   >A  A Just as you don't renounce your US citizenship if you aren't
   happy with
   >A  A the results of a presidential election, neither should you
   renounce
   >A  A your POCA membership.A  The biggest enemy of the club is not
   corruption
   >A  A at the top, but instead apathy throughout.A  The total number of
   ballots
   >A  A returned was pretty dismal.A  And for year after year, club
   officers
   >A  A have run uncontested, and in fact some offices have gone unfilled
   for
   >A  A many years because not one single person was willing to step up
   >A  A volunteer.
   >A  A To me, the takeaway from all of this is that if people want to
   have a
   >A  A club that serves them, they need to be willing to serve their
   fellow
   >A  A members in some capacity.A  Whether that means taking on a
   chapter
   >A  A leadership position, or writing an article, or running for a
   national
   >A  A board position, the club will only succeed if many more people
   are
   >A  A willing to step up and do something.A  It doesn't need to be
   much--it
   >A  A can be as little as casting a ballot in an election to let your
   voice
   >A  A be heard.A  But quitting is not the answer.
   >A  A I'd also like to once again publicly thank Chuck Engles for his
   hard
   >A  A work in receiving and counting the ballots.A  I am convinced that
   he
   >A  A maintained his high level of integrity throughout, and did the
   best job
   >A  A that he possibly could, within the often-changing constraints
   that were
   >A  A placed upon him.A  So while it may be legitimate to feel anger
   towards
   >A  A some people, he is definitely not one of them.A  I can only hope
   that he
   >A  A will be willing to continue to serve in this capacity and put the
   >A  A negative experiences of this election behind him.
   >A  A I thank everyone for their support over the last 20 years that I
   have
   >A  A served, and I very much hope that everyone will work together to
   get
   >A  A POCA past this low point and ensure that it thrives once more in
   the
   >A  A future.
   >A  A Mike

     etc.) use the links above.

   use the links above.

   --
   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [10]michael at michaelshortt.com
   912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you