[DeTomaso] Letter to Voting POCA Members

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 20:39:56 EST 2015

In a message dated 1/12/15 11 53 46, LaurieFerrari at aol.com writes:

> As a POCA member, I am asking for a REVOTE and hope that others will
> second and agree to back up this request as a motion!
>

>>>Laurie--while I appreciate your sentiment, I'd like to go on the record
as saying that I am *against* such a proposition.

While everything you say about the corruption associated with this recent
election is true (and there's much more besides that), and your indignation
is amply justified, I have taken a rather philosophical stance on the matter.

I strongly believe that if the election had *not* been rigged, and Mike
Haney ran an aggressive campaign, more likely than not he would have won the
election anyway.   Not only because of the fact that Profiles production has
diminished markedly in recent years (never mind the various reasons for it,
since I was in charge it's easy to assign blame to me), but also because of
that 'new car smell' associated with an unknown, eager volunteer.   For that
reason, I haven't felt any compulsion to attempt to challenge the results.

I have known Mike Haney for going on 25 years and we've been good friends
all that time, and will continue to be so.   Although many reprehensible
things were done by a handful of unethical POCA board members to ensure that the
election results came out as they did, I have yet to see the slightest
indication that Mike himself had anything to do with any of that.   I am filled
with admiration for anybody who puts his hand up to volunteer to serve,
especially in a job that is as grueling and thankless as this one, and I for one
appreciate his willingness to enter the fray and attempt to keep the
magazine going.

Regardless of how you might feel about how the election transpired, the
simple fact is that Mike Haney is now in charge, and he is going to need a lot
of support if he is to be successful.   While arguably he is more skilled
than I am at the mechanics of assembling a magazine, the act of laying out
text and photos represents perhaps 10% of the total job, at most.   The
remaining 90% involves networking, soliciting contributions, fact-checking,
editing, traveling to events, etc. etc. etc. and that is where he is going to need
the support of everybody in the club.   So I am urging everyone to avoid the
temptation to hold him responsible for the bad acts of others, and do
whatever they can to help him to ensure that Profiles doesn't simply roll over
and die.

I would also urge people to avoid blaming POCA, as an entity, for this
situation.   A surprising number of people have told me that they plan to quit
the club in protest, and there is at least one chapter that has viewed this
as the final straw after what they feel is a series of bad acts (unrelated to
the election) and is considering formally disassociating themselves from
POCA entirely.   I view both of these as being deeply disturbing and
counterproductive and have been stridently arguing against such actions.

To me, POCA is not the handful of people who are responsible for all this
ire; instead, POCA is the many hundreds of people all across the country and
around the world who together share passion for De Tomaso cars, as well as
the friendship and fellowship that normally follows.

Just as you don't renounce your US citizenship if you aren't happy with the
results of a presidential election, neither should you renounce your POCA
membership.   The biggest enemy of the club is not corruption at the top, but
instead apathy throughout.   The total number of ballots returned was
pretty dismal.   And for year after year, club officers have run uncontested, and
in fact some offices have gone unfilled for many years because not one
single person was willing to step up to volunteer.

To me, the takeaway from all of this is that if people want to have a club
that serves them, they need to be willing to serve their fellow members in
some capacity.   Whether that means taking on a chapter leadership position,
or writing an article, or running for a national board position, the club
will only succeed if many more people are willing to step up and do something.
  It doesn't need to be much--it can be as little as casting a ballot in an
election to let your voice be heard.   But quitting is not the answer.

I'd also like to once again publicly thank Chuck Engles for his hard work
in receiving and counting the ballots.   I am convinced that he maintained
his high level of integrity throughout, and did the best job that he possibly
could, within the often-changing constraints that were placed upon him.   So
while it may be legitimate to feel anger towards some people, he is
definitely not one of them.   I can only hope that he will be willing to continue
to serve in this capacity and put the negative experiences of this election
behind him.

I thank everyone for their support over the last 20 years that I have
served, and I very much hope that everyone will work together to get POCA past
this low point and ensure that it thrives once more in the future.