[DeTomaso] My my my goose for auction

Mark Charlton pantera01826 at rogers.com
Sat Jan 10 13:12:45 EST 2015

Since there are no verifiable facts to go on, all I can say is that I highly doubt that this Mangusta has any real significance beyond perhaps being a one-off oddity to fulfill a unique customer request — if indeed these modifications originated at the factory at all.

The interior scheme is downright ugly and I really have a hard time believing that DeTomaso explored the viability of a “six-headlight” Goose. I also doubt they added a poorly-aligned row of indicator lights above the toggle switches on the dash. The scale and finesse (lack of) of the body-side graphics verges on comical. I question why the car required BOTH a fender-mounted AND a roof-mounted antenna. Regardless, even if all of those add-ons did originate at the factory, for the car to reach $2 million is dreaming of the highest order. Witness the few “Speciale” Panteras that owners have hoped would be worth substantially more than a “regular” Pantera only to find they usually are not. Ugly is ugly, regardless of whether or not it is “authentically” ugly.

It will be fun to see if it even exceeds the new “norm” of $300K.

Mark Charlton
pantera01826 at rogers.com