[DeTomaso] Pantera cockpit ventilation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 17:09:59 EST 2015

In a message dated 1/7/15 2 05 52, guson at home.se writes:

> The fresh air intake dissapeared much earlier. My car was built in July
> 71 and does not have it. My Euro spare parts catalog lists 1st series (with
> fresh air) to car 1285, 2nd series (also with fresh air) from car 1286 and
> 3rd series (no fresh air) from car 1910. My car is #2004.
>
>>>That sounds about right.   The Ford parts book doesn't show the first
series at all; instead it lists the parts from 1286 to 1910 without the field
fix (no fresh air), and that same setup with the field fix ('before 1910').
 Then there's a drawing of the parts from 1910 on, with two different
heater boxes shown.   One is for the early-style dash, and the other is for the
later-style dash.

If you look at the subsequent listing of parts in the Ford parts book
though, there are numerous part numbers for the associated systems which don't
appear on any of the drawings!   The relevant general part number is 18552,
and there are four parts under that heading.   It's all very confusing....

> The original fresh air intake was only partway thought through. The air
enters the pressurized heater box, that is on the pressure side of the heater
fans. This means that when the car is stationary no fresh air enters the
car. Actually, if you roll down a window the fan will blow air from the cabin
out through the wiper grilles. The system Mike describes below ducts fresh
air to one of the fan cages which makes it work kind of like on most modern
cars. One drawback that I found with that system is that if you drive with
the heater fan turned off, ambient air will blow through the fan housing to
the drivers side footwell. This may or may not be pleasant depending on
ambient air temperature.

>>>However, you can close off air entering from the outside with this later
system.   Moving the lever opens the 'box' to accept air only from inside
the cabin of the car, which would make the heater much more effective in cold
weather.   It would probably help A/C function as well, but in moderate
temps it's probably preferable to get fresh air, just for the sake of getting
fresh air....