[DeTomaso] Pantera cockpit ventilation

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 00:10:10 EST 2015

Chuck,

'71 Panteras had functional fresh air intake to the cabin, from a big flap at the front of the heater box. That was done away with (presumably a cost cutting move) early in 1972. In mid 1973 fresh air returned, albeit with a different system. If you look under the dash on the passenger side in your late cars (7171 and 7191 if my memory serves, or something like that?) you will see a little box attached to the side of your heater blower motor case. This box has a hose coming from the cavity under the wiper grilles and a valve controlled by one of the three levers on the dash. Move the lever one way and the valve opens to the interior of the car--this is 'recirc' in modern cars. Move it the other way and the valve blocks off air from the cabin and instead draws it from the grille area. That's as fresh as fresh air gets! :)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone