[DeTomaso] Steering Wheel Re-covering

Sean Keane jskeane6 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 15:40:12 EST 2015

The LeCarra steering wheel in my Pantera has had a gap in the leather
since I bought the car. I've covered it with black duct tape in the
past, but decided that it was time to get it fixed by having it
re-covered. This has turned into much more of a chore than I ever imagined.

The local auto reupholstery businesses have made it clear that they want
nothing to do with this, quoting prices north of $600.00 to do the job.
I called LeCarra and asked if they could do it, but they apparently
don't make 13" steering wheels anymore. The smallest they can do is
13.5", and mine is definitely 13". I like that it's that size, as it
gives me a little more clearance with my knees (I'm 6'0").

The best-looking candidate from Amazon.com was 13.5" and didn't fit.
Does anyone have any advice on where I could get this done? I'm willing
to pay reasonable money (i.e. less than the price of a new steering
wheel). Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

J. Sean Keane
1974 L-model

---