[DeTomaso] Insurance for a visitor

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:06:49 EST 2015

Charlie,

I don't have experience in other than NV, nor as far back, but I did stay at Holiday Inn express and know a lot of things have changed since the 90's, not all for the good! In NV you can 'lay up' a registered vehicle for a portion of the year up to 6 months allowing you to cancel insurance, but you have to surrender the registration card as soon as insurance is canceled or there's a $250 fine (you can keep the license plates). Longer than that and you have to surrender the plates too.
If your car is not registered for road use, then there is no requirement to carry insurance. FWIW I keep my '74 Pantera registered each year just to mainatin my status for emissions exemption in NV, it's worth the $40 annual regsitration fee. Julian