[DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions

Don Thomas don.thomas.ieee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 23:12:38 EST 2015

Terry,

I've been running my MSD 6T with a soft touch since 89.

So what are you running ?

Curious minds want to know.

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Bill Moore <bill at incendium.com> wrote:

>    What so you run Terry ?
>
>    Cheers,
>
>    Bill Moore
>
>    Incendium Supply
>
>    Calgary

-------------- next part --------------
   Terry,
   I've been running my MSD 6T with a soft touch since 89.A
   So what are you running ?A
   Curious minds want to know.
   On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Bill Moore <[1]bill at incendium.com>
   wrote:

     A  A What so you run Terry ?
     A  A Cheers,
     A  A Bill Moore
     A  A Incendium Supply
     A  A Calgary
     A  A -------- Original message --------
     A  A From: "Himes, Terry (397C)"
     A  A Date:2015-02-22 1:35 PM (GMT-07:00)
     A  A To: Charles McCall ,'Andy May' ,[2]detomaso at poca.com,Mikael
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions
     A  A Exactly why I don't run MSD.A  I have heard many many stories
     just like
     A  A this.
     A  A (only my personal preference.A  no flames)
     A  A Thanks Charles for sharing.
     A  A "Sometimes I think the surest signs that intelligent life
     A  A  A exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has
     tried
     A  A  A to contact us!"
     A  A Terry W. Himes
     A  A [content://com.android.email.attachmentprovider/3/767/RAW]
     A  A JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
     A  A InSight Sequence Team Lead
     A  A Rosetta/MEX Sequence Team Lead
     A  A Phone: [3](818) 393-6261
     A  A Cell:A  A  A [4](818) 653-8213
     A  A Fax:A  A  A [5](818) 393-3147
     A  A [6]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:[7]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov>
     A  A From: Charles McCall
     A  A <[8]charlesmccall at gmail.com<mailto:[9]charlesmccall at gmail.com>>
     A  A Date: Sunday, February 22, 2015 6:38 AM
     A  A To: 'Andy May'
     <[10]andymay24 at gmail.com<mailto:[11]andymay24 at gmail.com>>,
     A  A "[12]detomaso at poca.com<mailto:[13]detomaso at poca.com>"
     A  A <[14]detomaso at poca.com<mailto:[15]detomaso at poca.com>>, Mikael
     A <[16]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk<mailto:[17]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk>

   A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions
   A  A Hi all
   A  A Last fall, I commented that my engine wasn't running well.
   Symptoms may
   A  A be found in the e-mail below, and consensus was that they sounded
   carb
   A  A related, or perhaps timing related, and a number of people offered
   A  A suggestions. But the symptoms were sort of strange and didn't seem
   A  A perfectly fit any of the theories as to the problem.
   A  A On a whim, over the winter I changed the MSD 6-AL electronic
   ignition,
   A  A since I had a spare and since the last time it failed, it gave
   some
   A  A really weird symptoms; erratic and sporadic problems. I sent the
   box to
   A  A MSD over Christmas for analysis and they confirmed that it failed
   their
   A  A test and had some issues. OK, sounds promising but was that the
   cause
   A  A of my problems?
   A  A It's been a harsh and snowy winter, but it has rained all week,
   which
   A  A cleaned most of the salt from the roads. So I took the car out
   today.
   A  A I'll feel better after a longer trip, but the first impression is
   very
   A  A positive. The hesitation and stumbling is gone, no starting
   problems,
   A  A and the car ran very very well. I'm cautiously saying that the
   problem
   A  A has been fixed.
   A  A I wanted to leave for posterity the fact that when the MSD box
   fails,
   A  A it isn't always catastrophic. It would actually almost be
   preferable if
   A  A it would, since I have a spare it and it would make the problem a
   A  A little more obvious. When they start to fail they get flaky -
   symptoms
   A  A that come and go. Both times they have failed I have started by
   A  A inspecting from top to bottom my carb, since the symptoms pointed
   in
   A  A that direction. Have an engine problem that you can't eliminate?
   Try
   A  A looking at your electronic ignition if you have it - it can cause
   all
   A  A kinds of weird running issues.
   A  A Thanks to all who answered
   A  A  A  Anyway, my engine is not happy. This morning in the hotel
   parking
   A  A lot I
   A  A  A  really thought that we'd have to skip today's event because it
   A  A wouldn't
   A  A  A  start and didn't sound like it was even thinking about
   starting.
   A  A Took
   A  A  A  probably 5 minutes of crank-wait-crank-wait before it fired.
   A  A Yesterday
   A  A  A  at the gas station it took 2-3 minutes to start, something
   that has
   A  A  A  never, ever happened before. It is really hard to describe the
   A  A problem
   A  A  A  so much of it is "feel", but I'll do my best.
   A  A  A  A few weeks ago I noticed that the engine would tend to
   stumble if I
   A  A  A  would floor the throttle, then clear its throat and pull. For
   A  A example,
   A  A  A  I like to heel-and-toe, just because, and when blipping the
   throttle
   A  A it
   A  A  A  would stumble instead of rev. The engine also felt a little
   rougher,
   A  A as
   A  A  A  though it vibrated more than I remembered it. I don't remember
   if
   A  A this
   A  A  A  was before or after I did a short tune-up, by adjusting the
   valve
   A  A lash
   A  A  A  (I have mechanical lifters), and cleaning the K&N air filter
   by
   A  A  A  applying K&N filter oil, etc. or if it is irrelevant. So I was
   A  A messing
   A  A  A  around in the engine bay recently...
   A  A  A  This weekend the engine felt considerably worse. It felt like
   it
   A  A would
   A  A  A  stumble under partial throttle as well. It would stumble a
   little
   A  A bit
   A  A  A  under trailing throttle going downhill as well, so I don't
   think it
   A  A is
   A  A  A  a clogged fuel filter.
   A  A  A  Oil temp is perfect. Oil pressure is perfect. Water temp is
   perfect.
   A  A  A  The engine idles perfectly. But if you floor the gas from
   idle,
   A  A it'll
   A  A  A  stall. The engine doesn't feel crisp, it feels bloated and
   soft, if
   A  A  A  that makes sense. It feels rough, and it feels like it
   occasionally
   A  A  A  stumbles under constant throttle at highway speed. It pulls
   hard
   A  A when
   A  A  A  accelerating, but I don't think as hard as it used to, or as
   high (I
   A  A  A  have a 6500 rpm limiting chip in the MSD that it used to pull
   very
   A  A  A  easily to).
   A  A  A  Suggestions for where to begin looking? And other info that
   would
   A  A help
   A  A  A  in troubleshooting?
   A  A !DSPAM:54568258260291209923907!
   A  A _______________________________________________
   A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
   A  A DeTomaso mailing list

     A  A [18]DeTomaso at poca.com<mailto:[19]DeTomaso at poca.com>
     A  A !DSPAM:54568258260291209923907!
     A  A _______________________________________________
     A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A [21]DeTomaso at poca.com<mailto:[22]DeTomaso at poca.com>
     A  A  A  Exactly why I don't run MSD.A  I have heard many many
     stories just
     A  A like
     A  A  A  this.
     A  A  A  (only my personal preference.A  no flames)
     A  A  A  Thanks Charles for sharing.
     A  A  A  "Sometimes I think the surest signs that intelligent life
     A  A  A  A  exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has
     tried
     A  A  A  A  to contact us!"
     A  A  A  Terry W. Himes
     A  A [content://com.android.email.attachmentprovider/3/767/RAW]
     A  A  A  JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
     A  A  A  InSight Sequence Team Lead
     A  A  A  Rosetta/MEX Sequence Team Lead
     A  A  A  Phone: [24](818) 393-6261
     A  A  A  Cell:A  A  A [25](818) 653-8213
     A  A  A  Fax:A  A  A [26](818) 393-3147
     A  A  A  [1][27]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov

   A  A  A  From: Charles McCall <[2][28]charlesmccall at gmail.com>
   A  A  A  Date: Sunday, February 22, 2015 6:38 AM
   A  A  A  To: 'Andy May' <[3][29]andymay24 at gmail.com>,
   "[4][30]detomaso at poca.com"
   A  A  A  <[5][31]detomaso at poca.com>, Mikael
   <[6][32]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk>
   A  A  A  Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for
   suggestions
   A  A  A  Hi all
   A  A  A  Last fall, I commented that my engine wasn't running well.
   Symptoms
   A  A may
   A  A  A  be found in the e-mail below, and consensus was that they
   sounded
   A  A carb
   A  A  A  related, or perhaps timing related, and a number of people
   offered
   A  A  A  suggestions. But the symptoms were sort of strange and didn't
   seem
   A  A to
   A  A  A  perfectly fit any of the theories as to the problem.
   A  A  A  On a whim, over the winter I changed the MSD 6-AL electronic
   A  A ignition,
   A  A  A  since I had a spare and since the last time it failed, it gave
   some
   A  A  A  really weird symptoms; erratic and sporadic problems. I sent
   the box
   A  A to
   A  A  A  MSD over Christmas for analysis and they confirmed that it
   failed
   A  A their
   A  A  A  test and had some issues. OK, sounds promising but was that
   the
   A  A cause
   A  A  A  of my problems?
   A  A  A  It's been a harsh and snowy winter, but it has rained all
   week,
   A  A which
   A  A  A  cleaned most of the salt from the roads. So I took the car out
   A  A today.
   A  A  A  I'll feel better after a longer trip, but the first impression
   is
   A  A very
   A  A  A  positive. The hesitation and stumbling is gone, no starting
   A  A problems,
   A  A  A  and the car ran very very well. I'm cautiously saying that the
   A  A problem
   A  A  A  has been fixed.
   A  A  A  I wanted to leave for posterity the fact that when the MSD box
   A  A fails,
   A  A  A  it isn't always catastrophic. It would actually almost be
   preferable
   A  A if
   A  A  A  it would, since I have a spare it and it would make the
   problem a
   A  A  A  little more obvious. When they start to fail they get flaky -
   A  A symptoms
   A  A  A  that come and go. Both times they have failed I have started
   by
   A  A  A  inspecting from top to bottom my carb, since the symptoms
   pointed in
   A  A  A  that direction. Have an engine problem that you can't
   eliminate? Try
   A  A  A  looking at your electronic ignition if you have it - it can
   cause
   A  A all
   A  A  A  kinds of weird running issues.
   A  A  A  Thanks to all who answered
   A  A  A  A  A Anyway, my engine is not happy. This morning in the hotel
   parking
   A  A  A  lot I
   A  A  A  A  A really thought that we'd have to skip today's event
   because it
   A  A  A  wouldn't
   A  A  A  A  A start and didn't sound like it was even thinking about
   starting.
   A  A  A  Took
   A  A  A  A  A probably 5 minutes of crank-wait-crank-wait before it
   fired.
   A  A  A  Yesterday
   A  A  A  A  A at the gas station it took 2-3 minutes to start,
   something that
   A  A has
   A  A  A  A  A never, ever happened before. It is really hard to
   describe the
   A  A  A  problem
   A  A  A  A  A so much of it is "feel", but I'll do my best.
   A  A  A  A  A A few weeks ago I noticed that the engine would tend to
   stumble
   A  A if I
   A  A  A  A  A would floor the throttle, then clear its throat and pull.
   For
   A  A  A  example,
   A  A  A  A  A I like to heel-and-toe, just because, and when blipping
   the
   A  A throttle
   A  A  A  it
   A  A  A  A  A would stumble instead of rev. The engine also felt a
   little
   A  A rougher,
   A  A  A  as
   A  A  A  A  A though it vibrated more than I remembered it. I don't
   remember if
   A  A  A  this
   A  A  A  A  A was before or after I did a short tune-up, by adjusting
   the valve
   A  A  A  lash
   A  A  A  A  A (I have mechanical lifters), and cleaning the K&N air
   filter by
   A  A  A  A  A applying K&N filter oil, etc. or if it is irrelevant. So
   I was
   A  A  A  messing
   A  A  A  A  A around in the engine bay recently...
   A  A  A  A  A This weekend the engine felt considerably worse. It felt
   like it
   A  A  A  would
   A  A  A  A  A stumble under partial throttle as well. It would stumble
   a little
   A  A  A  bit
   A  A  A  A  A under trailing throttle going downhill as well, so I
   don't think
   A  A it
   A  A  A  is
   A  A  A  A  A a clogged fuel filter.
   A  A  A  A  A Oil temp is perfect. Oil pressure is perfect. Water temp
   is
   A  A perfect.
   A  A  A  A  A The engine idles perfectly. But if you floor the gas from
   idle,
   A  A  A  it'll
   A  A  A  A  A stall. The engine doesn't feel crisp, it feels bloated
   and soft,
   A  A if
   A  A  A  A  A that makes sense. It feels rough, and it feels like it
   A  A occasionally
   A  A  A  A  A stumbles under constant throttle at highway speed. It
   pulls hard
   A  A  A  when
   A  A  A  A  A accelerating, but I don't think as hard as it used to, or
   as high
   A  A (I
   A  A  A  A  A have a 6500 rpm limiting chip in the MSD that it used to
   pull
   A  A very
   A  A  A  A  A easily to).
   A  A  A  A  A Suggestions for where to begin looking? And other info
   that would
   A  A  A  help
   A  A  A  A  A in troubleshooting?
   A  A  A  !DSPAM:54568258260291209923907!
   A  A  A  _______________________________________________
   A  A  A  Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
   A  A  A  DeTomaso mailing list
   A  A  A  [9][35]DeTomaso at poca.com
   A  A References
   A  A  A  1. mailto:[37]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
   A  A  A  2. mailto:[38]charlesmccall at gmail.com
   A  A  A  3. mailto:[39]andymay24 at gmail.com
   A  A  A  4. mailto:[40]detomaso at poca.com
   A  A  A  5. mailto:[41]detomaso at poca.com
   A  A  A  6. mailto:[42]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
   A  A  A  7. mailto:[43]DeTomaso at poca.com
   A  A  A  9. mailto:[45]DeTomaso at poca.com
   A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA

     A  A Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A [47]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.)
     A  A use the links above.
     etc.) use the links above.