[DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:23:37 EST 2015

I had 2 Mallory HiFire digital 6 boxes fail - in 2 separate cars, my 67
Mustang and my Pantera.

I had an 84 Mustang 2.3L turbo that got hot and the TFI unit on the side
of the distributor failed.  I replaced it, and the replacement was bad
too.  So, we replaced it again, and the 2nd replacement was good.

I've run MSD 6AL on 3 cars now, and so far they haven't failed.

I like the MSD (or similar box) because a) they sometimes come with start
retard, b) they seem to run better where I spend the most time - below
4,000 rpm and c) they have a built-in rev limiter.

I would gladly switch to another box that has a better reputation, but I
don't know of any.
--
Will