[DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions

Don Thomas don.thomas.ieee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:12:19 EST 2015

Here is one redundant system on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141426581678

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Ken Green via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com>
wrote:

>    Has anyone compared the failure rate on MSD ignitions to the location?
>    Maybe in a hot Pantera engine compartment, the life is reduced.  A lot
>    of professional racers use (or at least used to use in the
>    past) redundant MSD ignition systems that let them switch at any
>    moment.  I assume if there was something as good or better, they would
>    use it.
>    Ken

-------------- next part --------------
   Here is one redundant system on e-bay.
   [1]http://www.ebay.com/itm/141426581678

   On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Ken Green via DeTomaso
   <[2]detomaso at poca.com> wrote:

     A  A Has anyone compared the failure rate on MSD ignitions to the
     location?
     A  A Maybe in a hot Pantera engine compartment, the life is
     reduced.A  A lot
     A  A of professional racers use (or at least used to use in the
     A  A past) redundant MSD ignition systems that let them switch at
     any
     A  A moment.A  I assume if there was something as good or better,
     they would
     A  A use it.
     A  A Ken
     A  A
     A __________________________________________________________________
     A  A From: Pantdino via DeTomaso <[3]detomaso at poca.com>
     A  A To: [4]charlesmccall at gmail.com; [5]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov;
     A  A [6]andymay24 at gmail.com; [7]detomaso at poca.com;
     [8]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  A Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:42 PM
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions
     A  A  A There are tens or hundreds of millions of cars running
     around with
     A  A  A electronic ignition systems with a failure rate of
     essentially zero.
     A  A  A If the rate for MSDs is even 1% per year it is probably 100-
     1000
     A  A times
     A  A  A higher than the other systems.
     A  A  A Why would anyone use one?A  Doesn't it revert to single
     spark mode at
     A  A  A like 4K anyway?A  What is the point?'
     A  A  A Jim Oddie
     A  A  A -----Original Message-----

   A  A  A From: Charles McCall <[1][9]charlesmccall at gmail.com>
   A  A  A To: 'Himes, Terry (397C)' (397C)'
   <[2][10]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov>;
   A  A 'Andy
   A  A  A May' <[3][11]andymay24 at gmail.com>; detomaso
   <[4][12]detomaso at poca.com>;
   A  A 'Mikael'
   A  A  A <[5][13]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk>
   A  A  A Sent: Sun, Feb 22, 2015 12:56 pm
   A  A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions
   A  A  A Terry -
   A  A  A I had a similar discussion off-line with a forum member when I
   A  A  A mentioned that I'd had 2 MSD boxes go bad in the 15 years I've
   been
   A  A  A running them. He mentioned that there were numerous cases of
   MSD
   A  A boxes
   A  A  A failing, and I've heard them as well.
   A  A  A What I don't have are facts or data with respect to failure
   rates. Do
   A  A  A we hear about MSD boxes failing because they are 4 times as
   popular
   A  A as
   A  A  A the nearest competitor and that's why we hear about them? If we
   only
   A  A  A base our opinions on "background noise" or reported issues on a
   A  A forum,
   A  A  A then Panteras are not terribly reliable, so we need to look for
   data.
   A  A  A Does anyone know if there are any objective studies regarding
   failure
   A  A  A rate per year, or miles, or something?
   A  A  A The previous box failed (I believe) because someone welded on
   the car
   A  A  A without disconnecting the unit, something we are warned not to
   do.
   A  A This
   A  A  A box I had no explanation. Happy to change units if there are
   A  A objective
   A  A  A facts that demonstrate that someone else has a better product.
   Any
   A  A  A thoughts?

     A  A  A From: Himes, Terry (397C)
     [[1]mailto:[6][14]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov]
     A  A  A Sent: domingo, 22 de febrero de 2015 21:35
     A  A  A To: Charles McCall; 'Andy May'; [2][7][15]detomaso at poca.com;
     Mikael
     A  A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for
     suggestions
     A  A  A Exactly why I don't run MSD.A  I have heard many many
     stories just
     A  A like
     A  A  A this.
     A  A  A (only my personal preference.A  no flames)
     A  A  A Thanks Charles for sharing.
     A  A  A "Sometimes I think the surest signs that intelligent life
     A  A  A  A exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has
     tried
     A  A  A  A to contact us!"
     A  A  A Terry W. HimesA  [cid:[3][8]image001.png at 01D04EE9.ADCE0150]
     A  A  A JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
     A  A  A InSight Sequence Team Lead
     A  A  A Rosetta/MEX Sequence Team Lead
     A  A  A Phone: [16](818) 393-6261
     A  A  A Cell:A  A  [17](818) 653-8213
     A  A  A Fax:A  A  [18](818) 393-3147
     A  A  A [1][4][9][19]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  A  A d--od-,
     A  A  A From: Charles McCall <[2][5][10][20]charlesmccall at gmail.com>
     A  A  A Date: Sunday, February 22, 2015 6:38 AM
     A  A  A To: 'Andy May' <[3][6][11][21]andymay24 at gmail.com>,
     A  A "[4][7][12][22]detomaso at poca.com"
     A  A  A <[5][8][13][23]detomaso at poca.com>, Mikael
     A  A <[6][9][14][24]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk>

   A  A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions
   A  A  A Hi all
   A  A  A Last fall, I commented that my engine wasn't running well.
   Symptoms
   A  A may
   A  A  A be found in the e-mail below, and consensus was that they
   sounded
   A  A carb
   A  A  A related, or perhaps timing related, and a number of people
   offered
   A  A  A suggestions. But the symptoms were sort of strange and didn't
   seem to
   A  A  A perfectly fit any of the theories as to the problem.
   A  A  A On a whim, over the winter I changed the MSD 6-AL electronic
   A  A ignition,
   A  A  A since I had a spare and since the last time it failed, it gave
   some
   A  A  A really weird symptoms; erratic and sporadic problems. I sent
   the box
   A  A to
   A  A  A MSD over Christmas for analysis and they confirmed that it
   failed
   A  A their
   A  A  A test and had some issues. OK, sounds promising but was that the
   cause
   A  A  A of my problems?
   A  A  A It's been a harsh and snowy winter, but it has rained all week,
   which
   A  A  A cleaned most of the salt from the roads. So I took the car out
   today.
   A  A  A I'll feel better after a longer trip, but the first impression
   is
   A  A very
   A  A  A positive. The hesitation and stumbling is gone, no starting
   problems,
   A  A  A and the car ran very very well. I'm cautiously saying that the
   A  A problem
   A  A  A has been fixed.
   A  A  A I wanted to leave for posterity the fact that when the MSD box
   fails,
   A  A  A it isn't always catastrophic. It would actually almost be
   preferable
   A  A if
   A  A  A it would, since I have a spare it and it would make the problem
   A  A  A little more obvious. When they start to fail they get flaky -
   A  A symptoms
   A  A  A that come and go. Both times they have failed I have started by
   A  A  A inspecting from top to bottom my carb, since the symptoms
   pointed in
   A  A  A that direction. Have an engine problem that you can't
   eliminate? Try
   A  A  A looking at your electronic ignition if you have it - it can
   cause all
   A  A  A kinds of weird running issues.
   A  A  A Thanks to all who answered
   A  A  A  A  A Anyway, my engine is not happy. This morning in the hotel
   parking
   A  A  A lot I
   A  A  A  A  A really thought that we'd have to skip today's event
   because it
   A  A  A wouldn't
   A  A  A  A  A start and didn't sound like it was even thinking about
   starting.
   A  A  A Took
   A  A  A  A  A probably 5 minutes of crank-wait-crank-wait before it
   fired.
   A  A  A Yesterday
   A  A  A  A  A at the gas station it took 2-3 minutes to start,
   something that
   A  A has
   A  A  A  A  A never, ever happened before. It is really hard to
   describe the
   A  A  A problem
   A  A  A  A  A so much of it is "feel", but I'll do my best.
   A  A  A  A  A A few weeks ago I noticed that the engine would tend to
   stumble
   A  A if I
   A  A  A  A  A would floor the throttle, then clear its throat and pull.
   For
   A  A  A example,
   A  A  A  A  A I like to heel-and-toe, just because, and when blipping
   the
   A  A throttle
   A  A  A it
   A  A  A  A  A would stumble instead of rev. The engine also felt a
   little
   A  A rougher,
   A  A  A as
   A  A  A  A  A though it vibrated more than I remembered it. I don't
   remember if
   A  A  A this
   A  A  A  A  A was before or after I did a short tune-up, by adjusting
   the valve
   A  A  A lash
   A  A  A  A  A (I have mechanical lifters), and cleaning the K&N air
   filter by
   A  A  A  A  A applying K&N filter oil, etc. or if it is irrelevant. So
   I was
   A  A  A messing
   A  A  A  A  A around in the engine bay recently...
   A  A  A  A  A This weekend the engine felt considerably worse. It felt
   like it
   A  A  A would
   A  A  A  A  A stumble under partial throttle as well. It would stumble
   a little
   A  A  A bit
   A  A  A  A  A under trailing throttle going downhill as well, so I
   don't think
   A  A it
   A  A  A is
   A  A  A  A  A a clogged fuel filter.
   A  A  A  A  A Oil temp is perfect. Oil pressure is perfect. Water temp
   is
   A  A perfect.
   A  A  A  A  A The engine idles perfectly. But if you floor the gas from
   idle,
   A  A  A it'll
   A  A  A  A  A stall. The engine doesn't feel crisp, it feels bloated
   and soft,
   A  A if
   A  A  A  A  A that makes sense. It feels rough, and it feels like it
   A  A occasionally
   A  A  A  A  A stumbles under constant throttle at highway speed. It
   pulls hard
   A  A  A when
   A  A  A  A  A accelerating, but I don't think as hard as it used to, or
   as high
   A  A (I
   A  A  A  A  A have a 6500 rpm limiting chip in the MSD that it used to
   pull
   A  A very
   A  A  A  A  A easily to).
   A  A  A  A  A Suggestions for where to begin looking? And other info
   that would
   A  A  A help
   A  A  A  A  A in troubleshooting?
   A  A  A !DSPAM:54568258260291209923907!
   A  A  A _______________________________________________
   A  A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
   A  A  A DeTomaso mailing list

     A  A  A [7][10][15][25]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A
     A [8][11][16][26]http://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.com
     A  A  A [9][12][17][27]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A
     A [10][13][18][28]http://poca.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso_poca.com
     A  A References
     A  A  A 1. [14]mailto:[19][29]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  A  A 2. [15]mailto:[20][30]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  A  A 3. [16]mailto:[21][31]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  A  A 4. [17]mailto:[22][32]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 5. [18]mailto:[23][33]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 6. [19]mailto:[24][34]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  A  A 7. [20]mailto:[25][35]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 8.
     A  A  A 9. [22]mailto:[27][37]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 10.
     A  A _______________________________________________
     A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
     A  A Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A [24][29][39]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.)
     A  A use the
     A  A links above.
     A  A References
     A  A  A 1. mailto:[31][41]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov?
     A  A  A 2. mailto:[32][42]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 3. mailto:[33]image001.png at 01D04EE9.ADCE0150
     A  A  A 4. mailto:[34][43]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  A  A 5. mailto:[35][44]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  A  A 6. mailto:[36][45]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  A  A 7. mailto:[37][46]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 8. mailto:[38][47]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 9. mailto:[39][48]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  A  A 10. mailto:[40][49]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 11.
     A  A  A 12. mailto:[42][51]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A  A 13.
     A  A  A 14. mailto:[44][53]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov?
     A  A  A 15. mailto:[45][54]charlesmccall at gmail.com?
     A  A  A 16. mailto:[46][55]andymay24 at gmail.com?
     A  A  A 17. mailto:[47][56]detomaso at poca.com?
     A  A  A 18. mailto:[48][57]detomaso at poca.com?
     A  A  A 19. mailto:[49][58]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk?
     A  A  A 20. mailto:[50][59]DeTomaso at poca.com?
     A  A  A 21.
     A  A  A 22. mailto:[52][61]DeTomaso at poca.com?
     A  A  A 23.
     A  A [56][65]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  A To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.)
     A  A use the links above.
     References
     A  A 1. mailto:[67]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  A 2. mailto:[68]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  A 3. mailto:[69]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  A 4. mailto:[70]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A 5. mailto:[71]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  A 6. mailto:[72]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  A 7. mailto:[73]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A 8. mailto:[74]image001.png at 01D04EE9.ADCE0150
     A  A 9. mailto:[75]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  10. mailto:[76]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  11. mailto:[77]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  12. mailto:[78]detomaso at poca.com
     A  13. mailto:[79]detomaso at poca.com
     A  14. mailto:[80]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  15. mailto:[81]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  17. mailto:[83]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  19. mailto:[85]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  20. mailto:[86]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  21. mailto:[87]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  22. mailto:[88]detomaso at poca.com
     A  23. mailto:[89]detomaso at poca.com
     A  24. mailto:[90]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  25. mailto:[91]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  27. mailto:[93]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  29. mailto:[95]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  31. mailto:[97]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  32. mailto:[98]detomaso at poca.com
     A  33. mailto:[99]image001.png at 01D04EE9.ADCE0150
     A  34. mailto:[100]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  35. mailto:[101]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  36. mailto:[102]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  37. mailto:[103]detomaso at poca.com
     A  38. mailto:[104]detomaso at poca.com
     A  39. mailto:[105]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  40. mailto:[106]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  42. mailto:[108]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  44. mailto:[110]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     A  45. mailto:[111]charlesmccall at gmail.com
     A  46. mailto:[112]andymay24 at gmail.com
     A  47. mailto:[113]detomaso at poca.com
     A  48. mailto:[114]detomaso at poca.com
     A  49. mailto:[115]mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
     A  50. mailto:[116]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  52. mailto:[118]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  54. mailto:[120]DeTomaso at poca.com
     A  56. mailto:[122]DeTomaso at poca.com
     etc.) use the links above.

References

   1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141426581678
   2. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
   3. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
   4. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
   5. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
   6. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
   7. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
   8. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
   9. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  10. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
  11. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  12. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  13. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  14. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
  15. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  16. tel:%28818%29%20393-6261
  17. tel:%28818%29%20653-8213
  18. tel:%28818%29%20393-3147
  19. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
  20. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  21. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  22. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  23. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  24. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  25. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  27. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  29. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
  30. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  31. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  32. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  33. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  34. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  35. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  37. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  39. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  41. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
  42. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  43. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
  44. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  45. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  46. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  47. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  48. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  49. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  51. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  53. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
  54. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  55. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  56. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  57. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  58. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  59. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  61. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  63. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  65. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  67. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  68. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
  69. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  70. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  71. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  72. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
  73. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  74. mailto:image001.png at 01D04EE9.ADCE0150
  75. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
  76. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  77. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  78. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  79. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  80. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  81. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  83. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  85. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
  86. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
  87. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
  88. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  89. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  90. mailto:mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
  91. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  93. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  95. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
  97. mailto:terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
  98. mailto:detomaso at poca.com
  99. mailto:image001.png at 01D04EE9.ADCE0150
 100. mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
 101. mailto:charlesmccall at gmail.com
 102. mailto:andymay24 at gmail.com
 103. mailto:detomaso at poca.com