[DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 03:56:33 EST 2015

MSD isn't likely to publicise even the existence of failures, let alone
failure rates. What they might tell you is the number of returns they
get, some of which are counterfeit from China in counterfeit boxes.
IMHO, one problem with almost all aftermarket electronic ignitions is,
YOU are the unpaid tester. Ford, GM & FIAT/Chrysler sell millions of
electronic ignitions but they test theirs exhaustively before releasing
them to the public, per gov't rules. So I suggest using a Ford 460
electronic ignition that is a drop-in to a 351-C. MSD actually uses
parts from the Ford design in their assemblies- which do have better
bearings and a billet housing. The stock Ford unit can be customized
with all stock parts to adjust phasing, advance curves and vacuum
advance, and a solid-stale 'E-coil'- also stock. All this stuff is
tested and has been in production since the late '70s. Occasionally,
they still fail.  So its not entirely a MSD problem.