[DeTomaso] Headlight Bucket Studs - solved

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 12:21:47 EST 2015

Thanks.  I actually solved the issue similarly to your description, but using an “elevator” bolt which has a broad flat top with a four sided shank underneath before the threads.  I ground the broken studs flush at the back, punched and drilled them out, then with a square file shaped the hole to fit the four-sided section of the elevator bolt.  JB sanded the top of the old stud to bare metal then JB welded the new bolt in place, tightening it on the backside to hold it in place while the JB set.  I used a ¼” by 1” elevator bolt.  I did this to the two that were snapped off, cleaned up the threads on all of the others and bought new Nyloc nuts for all.

Once again, McGyver to the rescue . . .

I have art work for anybody that would like to see the process and result.

Mike Thomas

Pres., Panteras Northwest

Yellow ’74 #6328