[DeTomaso] Talented body mod [WAS: Talentet body mod]

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 13:01:16 EST 2015

In a message dated 2/12/15 9 41 35, detomaso at poca.com writes:

> Yikes!  That's scary!  Just cut away the frame/chassis structure to make
> room for a big dropped floor pan.  I be that car has some body flex!
>

>>>The idea itself has merit, if it's done properly.   Hall Pantera and
others have sold this particular lowered floorpan for years.   In order to be
done 'right' it needs to be thoroughly welded into place to start to make up
for the strength lost by cutting out some of the underfloor structure.
Note that you are cutting both a longitudinal and a lateral chassis piece in
order to insert this replacement floorpan.   I don't know if the edges of the
Hall floorpan fully make up for losing these pieces, or not?

Note that the angle of the stock floor is NOT replicated, so that the seat
now tilts forward to an unfortunate degree; the solution is then to place
spacers under the front of the seat mounting tracks.

Kirk Evans has sold a similar product for years, except his is much MUCH
heavier and stronger, and also features the correct angle.   Intuitively I
would guess that if it was installed properly, it would make the car stronger
than stock.   Unfortunately, it's too much of a good thing--it features too
much drop.   It hangs much further down below the car, and with today's
tire/wheel packages, it's vulnurable to scraping.   I drove Larry Stock's
so-equipped Pantera once and believe me, when you go over a bump and the floorpan
smashes into the ground, you REALLY feel it and it scares the crap out of
you!!!

My own car features a unique solution to the problem--due to extensive
rust, both floorpans were cut out along the full length (from in front of the
pedals all the way to the back of the cabin).   New pans were made out of much
heavier-grade steel, and then replacement longitudinal and lateral
structure was placed on the *inside* of the pans, preserving the strength that might
otherwise have been lost.   The positioning of the reinforcement is
different from side-to-side, enabling the driver's seat to sit just a bit lower, as
the passenger seat sits atop the new interior chassis pieces, which negates
the advantage of the lowered floorpan on that side--DOH! :>)