[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil per Lloyd Butfoy

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 19:49:42 EST 2015

Did you have any inclination that you had a bad pinion gear (i.e. odd noise or something didn't feel right) or was it just by chance you found it when you tore it down to get a new 5th gear?

Just curious if there are symptoms that I can add to my mental repository to reference while driving.

Yes, I had noticed a new noise. Not a known type of noise, to me at least. Noise transmitted through the chassis when driving or coasting, in or out of gear. I have a lot of Dynamat on 2511, which surely affected what I could hear.

With 2511 on jack stands and a helper, we took turns getting up to speed, shutting engine and dumping into neutral, then listening to identify the source and type of noise. Best we could decide was it came from the ZF.

Lloyd felt the R&P issue would have delivered a gear whine, but what I heard didn't fit that description.

Hopefully what I was hearing will be gone when the ZF is installed.

Larry