[DeTomaso] DeTomaso] Still Looking for a perfect Pre L Red/Black

Tom Baranek tbaranek at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 14:43:04 EST 2015

Man, I guess I don't know how lucky I was.
Me and a squadron mate subscribed to the San Diego Sunday newspaper during a 7 month deployment aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in 1986 (so we'd always have something in the mail call).
The Pantera I now own showed up in the classified section under listings from "The Fine Car Store".  It came and went over two or three times during the months (deals fell through, etc...) and my savings grew (as I had no place to spend my money).  When I got home and went by the store...there she was!  I low balled them and they said no, I mid-balled them and they said yes...I did not even test drive it.  Within a week it need $1,000 worth of work (retail San Diego prices) and I thought I was over my head but those were the last $s I ever HAD to spend on her (although I have done upgrades, consumable, and maintenance since).
Tom

I also looked for five years and saw a few turds along the way.
I found mine on eBay, won the auction twice (neither time meeting his
reserve)
finally made a deal six months later outside of eBay after two trips to go
see it,
The last trip with cash and a trailer.  That worked.

Michael Shortt