[DeTomaso] Koni Shocks Rebuild

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 02:02:39 EST 2015

In a message dated 2/4/15 15 56 34, mghibli7 at hotmail.com writes:

> First, has anyone had Konis rebuilt recently? Who did it? How did it work
> out?
>
>>>If you go to the Koni USA website you'll see there are a handful of
authorized rebuilders.   If you have the original sales receipt they will
rebuild them for free; otherwise the charge is fairly substantial.

> >Second, I am looking for a set of Konis, just shocks, I have the springs.
> I believe the shocks are the same front and rear, does anyone know
> different?
>
>>>I believe you're right.

Don't forget that there are Konis and then there are Konis.

The old-school shocks were simply replacements for the stock shocks, and
used the stock (or stock-style) springs.   However, for many years Pantera
Performance Center and Pantera East have been selling new, modern Koni shocks
(their so-called '30 series') which use much smaller-diameter springs.   They
are therefore smaller and lighter than the standard-style.   While they are
rather expensive, when you look at the cost of having old-school Konis
rebuilt, the price delta isn't that great.

If you already have old Konis it may make sense to rebuild them.   However,
if you were first planning on buying a set and then having them rebuilt, it
would start to get a bit crazy...buying new, modern units would make more
sense.