[DeTomaso] Climate Bag/optimum humidity level

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:34:46 EST 2015

Interesting question.  Was wondering this myself, since RH (relative
humidity) typically runs between 20 - 30% where my car is stored.  In
summertime, it's goes down to 17 - 22%.  Here's one thing I found:
http://www.dry-it-out.com/car-storage-faq  Apparently optimum car
storage humidity is 40 - 60%?  If that's the case then all the rubber
on my car should have crumbled into dust by now.  It's been in this
environmentsince 2007 or so.  So far, my rubber is holding up fine.
Even my 10-year old TA radials that are stored inflated in the same
environment do not yet show any deterioration.  Maybe it takes a while
for a dry climate to take it's toll but so far I can't see anything
rotting from dryness.  I do keep all the vinyl and rubber trim
protected with Vinylex.  All engine rubber I don't touch.    Probably
should keep an eye out though...
 Sent using Hushmail
On February 4, 2015 at 2:24 AM, "Charles McCall"  wrote:Question - at
what point is too Little humidity a bad thing? When will the
leather begin to dry and crack, and Wood, if your dash has it? Rubber
hoses? I imagine that a certain amount of humidity keeps things
flexible
and prevents cracking

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Andy May  wrote:

>    I too was wondering why you wouldn't just do that too.... Johnny
does
>    like a spot of engineering though :-)
>
>    On Feb 4, 2015 4:50 AM,  wrote:
>
>      In a message dated 2/3/15 12 13 52, [2]andymay24 at gmail.com
writes:
>      Yes, I certainly would not want to be doing it for a weekend -
its
>      really
>      designed for seasonal use.
>      >>>Andy, he didn't say 'weekend'.A  He said 'week and...'
>      Yes, it takes some time to put the car into and out of the
cocoon,
>      but if you're taking it out and then driving it every day for a
week
>      before parking it for several weeks or months, it's not
>      unreasonable.
>      FWIW, Johnny Woods balked at the high cost of a "Carcoon" in
the UK
>      so he made his own.A  His old workshop was something straight
out of
>      a Dickens novel; it was in the basement of an 18th century
>      tannery.A  It was perpetually dark and dank, and any bare metal
left
>      exposed would literally rust in minutes.
>      He made a lightweight balsawood rectangle larger than the car,
and
>      then a light framework that reaches a peak in the middle, and
>      covered it with heavy clear PVC plastic.A  He put a rubber seal
all
>      the way around the bottom framework.A  He then rigged up a
pulley
>      apparatus overhead, ran a rope from the top of the 'tent'
through
>      the pulley and then down to an old Jaguar windshield wiper
motor he
>      affixed to the wall.A  Powered by a 12V inverter, with the flip
of a
>      switch, the whole affair lifted up and was suspended over the
car.
>      Now, what about the humidity?A  Well, at first he just got a
>      standard dehumidifier, set it up outside the tent, with the
inlet
>      hose inside with the car, and piping to the outside for the
water
>      that was removed from the air.A  But then he got REALLY clever.
You
>      see, the dehumidifier has an air exhaust as well as an inlet.A
So,
>      he rigged up a long length of hose and ran the exhaust air back
>      INSIDE the tent.A  In this way, the air was circulated again
and
>      again and again, getting moisture pulled out of it with each
pass
>      through the machine.
>      He got a humidity gauge and measured the ultimate dryness
achieved
>      by this method, then on his next trip to the USA, he measured
the
>      air in Death Valley in the late springtime.A  His bubble had
lower
>      humidity!
>      So, with just a few dollars spent plus a bit of cleverness, you
can
>      really take care of your car if it's in a humid environment.A
Even