[DeTomaso] Climate Bag

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 23:50:37 EST 2015

In a message dated 2/3/15 12 13 52, andymay24 at gmail.com writes:

> Yes, I certainly would not want to be doing it for a weekend - its really
> designed for seasonal use.
>

>>>Andy, he didn't say 'weekend'.   He said 'week and...'

Yes, it takes some time to put the car into and out of the cocoon, but if
you're taking it out and then driving it every day for a week before parking
it for several weeks or months, it's not unreasonable.

FWIW, Johnny Woods balked at the high cost of a "Carcoon" in the UK so he
made his own.   His old workshop was something straight out of a Dickens
novel; it was in the basement of an 18th century tannery.   It was perpetually
dark and dank, and any bare metal left exposed would literally rust in
minutes.

He made a lightweight balsawood rectangle larger than the car, and then a
light framework that reaches a peak in the middle, and covered it with heavy
clear PVC plastic.   He put a rubber seal all the way around the bottom
framework.   He then rigged up a pulley apparatus overhead, ran a rope from the
top of the 'tent' through the pulley and then down to an old Jaguar
windshield wiper motor he affixed to the wall.   Powered by a 12V inverter, with the
flip of a switch, the whole affair lifted up and was suspended over the
car.

Now, what about the humidity?   Well, at first he just got a standard
dehumidifier, set it up outside the tent, with the inlet hose inside with the
car, and piping to the outside for the water that was removed from the air.
But then he got REALLY clever.  You see, the dehumidifier has an air exhaust
as well as an inlet.   So, he rigged up a long length of hose and ran the
exhaust air back INSIDE the tent.   In this way, the air was circulated again
and again and again, getting moisture pulled out of it with each pass
through the machine.

He got a humidity gauge and measured the ultimate dryness achieved by this
method, then on his next trip to the USA, he measured the air in Death
Valley in the late springtime.   His bubble had lower humidity!

So, with just a few dollars spent plus a bit of cleverness, you can really
take care of your car if it's in a humid environment.   Even if you're not
willing to manufacture your own tent, the trick of circulating dehumidified
air around and around and not allowing ambient air into the cocoon is a very
good idea!