[DeTomaso] Dumb brake line question

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Wed Dec 30 15:13:16 EST 2015

Brent,

37 degree flares are only for AN (think braided hose) fittings.

45 degree brake line double flares (where the tubing wall is  folded back
to the inside of the flare to provide a double wall  thickness) are used,
mostly,on older US cars.

Bubble flares (where the end of the tubing is pushed back into a sort  of
bubble, but not folded back to double the wall thickness) are used,  mostly,
on EURO and Asian, cares.

I say "mostly" because until you have the tubing and the part with which it
 must mate in your hands, you cannot be certain.

Bubble flares were invented to overcome the problem that double flares
often will not seal if reused. Bubble flares are better able to comply with
the mating surface when reused. The type of flare, the flare nut, and the part
 with which the flare will mate must all be correct for that type of flare.

Auto parts stores have US and Metric size brake tubing with preformed ends
in various straight lengths. They will let you search thru their brake
tubing  rack for what you need. Using these pre-flared tubes, means, after you
make cut  one end to fit, you only need to flare one end.

So many "standards" have been employed, that there is no  "standard."

Ah, the stories I could tell!

The main  thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
Do the best you can with what  your have where you are.
Have fun today!
SOBill

In a message dated 12/30/2015 9:28:30 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,