[DeTomaso] Cranking amps

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:40:59 EST 2015

Sounds about right to me.   I have a 60 Cadillac Hearse with a stock
390 V8 that every battery I ever used struggles to turn over no matter
how high the CCA.  The latest one was a cheap Autozone number (cca 350
or so) that finally kicked the bucket a few weeks after it's 7th
birthday.  The new battery I put in (a NAPA "heavy duty" unit) cranked
it a little easier…..for about a week. No doubt the culprit is the
stock GM starter (nothing newer is available), a battery-slaying lump
of iron whose guts cannot be updated, only rebuilt to the cave man
specs of it's day.   Oddly enough, the Motorcraft unit in my Pantera
is still cranking strong since I bought the car in Jan. 2006.
 Sent using Hushmail
On December 23, 2015 at 11:24 AM, "Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso"
wrote:Cal, the actual amp requirement will depend on the compression
in the engine, the temperature, the starter you're using (gear-drive
starters are more efficient than direct-drive stockers), condition of
the cables and whether you run a good ground between the block and
chassis. So there's not really an exact answer. Good luck- J DeRyke