[DeTomaso] 2016 Fun Rally Attendance

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:16:24 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Forest Goodhart <forestg at att.net> wrote:

I don't know why some people seem to think that it is a POCA sponsored
>    event and that the POCA Board needs to have approval of what is done.
>    If you don't like what the organizers have put together then don't
>    participate.

Vegas is centrally located for most Pantera owners (except for those of us
in the Midwest and East) so I think Las Vegas is a great idea, too; but
"seedy" hotels and  $90,000 cars, not so much. I suspect the rest of us
would rather be somewhere a little nicer and a little safer, especially
some of the newer members who may be bringing their wives.

As for me, I'll probably go either way and I hope to be driving my car to
it if we can get the Midwest Pantera Squadron organized for the trip and
seeing old friends. I, too, was an original owner of brand new 74 Pantera
so, after 40 years of Pantera ownership, the nostalgia part has some
meaning for me as well. Maybe this can be the "last hurrah," where we
celebrate the good old days when people looked down their noses at the
cars, when we struggled to keep them running  both financially and
technical know-how-wise, when you couldn't find a shop that would touch the
cars much less know anything about them, when we couldn't wait to hear from
the Pantera experts like Ted Mitchell and Jack DeRyke with their monthly
Newsletter and Eveline Blanchette's original Pantera International
Magazine. But in the end, we all knew they were great cars just waiting for
their day in the sun. And it seems to be happening. take a look at the cars
that are showing up at the Fun Rallies. People are actually investing money
and effort in good, high quality restorations, not the cobbled together
fixes that were so prevalent in the 80s and 90s. Magazines are talking
positively about the cars, something they never used to do. And values are
going up, something that has never really happened in a meaningful way
before.

Just to set the record straight, the Fun Rally used to be run by the
Snyders and Coopers but since they gave it up 6 or 7 years ago, POCA took
on the responsibility and it is now fully a POCA event. Until someone like
Kent and Sandi want to take it over, it belongs to POCA. They take the
financial risk for it, they provide the insurance for it, they organize it
along with the hosting chapter, they take responsibility for the paperwork,
they have added activities for the Members and for the Members' wives,
making it a much more memorable event. The event, just like the cars, has
changed. So of course, the Board should be approving it, and has been
approving it up until the 2016 Fun Rally when it was arranged without the
Board's prior approval or knowledge. And the Board works for all the
Members.

Jeff Detrich
Outgoing Secretary, POCA
6559