[DeTomaso] NPC - Brake Drum Wear Limits, does Porterfield R4S material eat drums, etc.

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Thu Dec 17 14:21:30 EST 2015

FWIW I once put new pads against an unturned rotor, it chewed the new pads down to the steel in just a few thousand miles, learned my lesson there.
Also the drums in question in this experiment measured the same ID as they did 20K miles earlier ... do they typically "grow" the ID significantly even if the friction material is not worn down to the steel or rivets?
If the "max diameter" cast into the drum isn't a machining limit, then there is some ambiguity unfortunately thrown in, how much extra iron to leave behind to be worn off by the shoes.  A machining limit would be black and white, no gray area.
While we're in the 'hood, what do they use to glue the friction material to the shoes/pads?  It's obviously not waterproof, I've had several shoes lose their friction material due to, ah, improper storage / the introduction of moisture or penetrating oil.  Wondering if gluing the friction material back on is something I can try at home.
Thanks,
GD