[DeTomaso] NPC - Brake Drum Wear Limits, does Porterfield R4S material eat drums, etc.

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Dec 14 16:24:22 EST 2015

Jeff, way back when drum brakes were the norm, one famous racer said he never turned his drums. The wear, scratches etc slightly increased the surface area and once new shoes were mated to rough drums, the system worked fine.
As far as wear limits, its when the drum bell-mouths and braking efficiencydrops off. So it depends on lots of factors, not just a dimension.