[DeTomaso] NPC - Brake Drum Wear Limits, does Porterfield R4S material eat drums, etc.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Dec 14 00:49:12 EST 2015

In a message dated 12/13/15 6:16:57 PM, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Have done a little driving with the Porterfield rear pads installed, to
> match the fronts.  While the fronts made a huge difference, not really
> feeling a big difference after changing the rears.  Ought to get out in the rain
> though, make sure the fronts are locking up first.
> Is there any downside to this R4S material, other than initial cost?
> Short life?  Eats rotors or drums?  Otherwise seems too good to be true.
>

>>>I think what you're experiencing is not so much a reflection of how good
the Porterfield pads are (they are very good indeed), but rather how truly
awful the stock pads are.

The Porterfield pads will likely have a shorter lifespan, but that's
trivial on a car that is driven so rarely.   The stock pads will look almost new
after 75K miles, because they don't work worth a damn.   The Porterfield pads
are more sacrificial, but it's unlikely you will wear them out in your
lifetime.

I'm not aware of any adverse affects on brake rotors.   While stock rotors
are plentiful, and should be cheap (it depends on where you get
them--sometimes they can be had for free if you're lucky), I wouldn't be in a hurry to
stampede towards the turning machine.   If they are a little rough but have
no appreciable runout, I would just leave them alone....

   In a message dated 12/13/15 6:16:57 PM, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net