[DeTomaso] whats old is new again

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 12:10:39 EST 2015

> When an engine fails or becomes very worn, it is usually pulled from the
vehicle and scrapped. Ford wants to change that by utilizing a high-tech
plasma process to remanufacture broken engines.

When my dad got back from Germany serving as a medic in WWII, he was
assigned to motor pool duty.  The motor pool had a very well equipped
machine shop.  One of the cars, IRC a Pontiac sedan with a flat head
straight eight, had been rebuilt several times.  After a few re-bores, they
reached the limit of the block casting.  Rather than scrapping the block,
they metal sprayed/plasma welded it back to standard bore and rebuilt it
again.  IIRC, it had logged something like 500,000 miles.

Dan Jones