[DeTomaso] Replaced rear brake pads, was Re: Porterfield rear brake pads

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Sat Dec 5 17:20:58 EST 2015

My Porterfield rears were free sliding.
dave

--
Dave Londry
Embedded Spaces Inc. (ESI)
davel at emspace.com

904 429 1937 (SkypeCall FLA)
Skype:embeddedspaces
Canada Numbers
604 721 2278 (cell)
604 589 9182 (shop line)
604 589 9183 (home line)

-------------- next part --------------

   [1][3]http://www.racingagainstautism.com/
   [2][4]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/
   [3][5]http://facebook.com/racingagainstautism
   On 12/1/2015 5:08 PM, Guido deTomaso wrote:
   >    That's kinda interesting.
   >    What I discovered today was, the friction material on my re-lined
   >    Porterfield pads was too long.  Not too thick in the wear
   direction,
   >    but too long in the disc circumference direction.  So on the
   inboard
   >    pad, they got wedged in to the caliper body very tight.  Took
   hammer
   >    blows to install, I had to admit to myself those pads would likely
   >    stick.
   >    So took them out, very difficult since they were wedged in so
   tight,
   >    sanded the ends down, avoiding sanding the metal backing plates,
   tried
   >    to only sand the friction material.  Once sanded, they dropped in
   >    easily.
   >    The stock pads, the friction material is slightly shorter than the
   >    metal backing plate ... something to be learned there.
   >    GD

   >    From: Garth Rodericks[6]<[4]garth_rodericks at yahoo.com>
   >    To:
   [7]"[5]guido_detomaso at prodigy.net"[8]<[6]guido_detomaso at prodigy.net>;
   DeTomaso
   >    Mail List[9]<[7]detomaso at poca.com>
   >    Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 11:02 AM
   >    Subject: Replaced rear brake pads, was Re: Porterfield rear brake
   pads
   >    The problem I had after installing my new Porterfield pads years
   ago
   >    was the caliper pistons on the rear right wheel got stuck in their
   >    bores because of all the gunk/varnish that built up in there there
   over
   >    the years - it had been a long time since the pistons were pushed
   that
   >    far back into their bores. Calipers released after a few good
   whacks
   >    with the handle of a screwdriver as well as letting things cool
   down -
   >    don't know which really solved the problem, but they haven't stuck
   >    since.

   use the links above.