[DeTomaso] Adjustable upper rear A-arms

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Dec 2 23:38:35 EST 2015

In a message dated 12/2/15 8:13:20 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I have a vague recollection that some of the modified upper rear control
> arms included adjustment to reduce possible binding in the rear suspension
> because the upper ball joint may not exactly line up with he top of the
> carrier?  It seems like a control arm with adjustable frame ends could be
> adjusted to align the ball joint with the carrier?
>
>>>I know what you're thinking...but no.

Some adjustable upper A-arms have the adjustment on the inboard (chassis)
side, but most have it on the outboard (hub carrier) side.   Normally, the
A-arms prescribe a roughly 90-degree angle with the hub carrier at rest, which
becomes less or more than 90 degrees as the suspension travels through its
arc.   This changes only slightly if the car is lowered an inch or so.

If I understand you correctly, your premise is that the car could be
lowered so much that the angle between the upper A-arm and the hub carrier would
become so acute that the ball joint would be bound up.   That would require
an extreme amount of suspension movement, so much that the chassis would hit
the ground first.   Nobody would ever lower a car that much.

But even if it was possible or desirable to lower the car that much, the
only way to avoid the binding problem (never mind the fact that the chassis is
dragging on the ground) would be to raise the inboard end of the A-arm.
One could achieve this by moving the mounts upwards on the chassis (in fact
Les Gray's Gr4 race car chassis was modified, in the front I think, with
alternative A-arm mounting locations, something done in the USA after it came
here, I think), but you couldn't achieve this by putting a vertical adjustment
on the A-arm itself--at least not reasonably.

Not that we're really talking reason here...:>)