[DeTomaso] Radiator Removal II

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Sun Aug 30 11:36:25 EDT 2015

Years ago, after seeing the damage to aluminum hose nipples in the area
under the hoses on my '69 XKE, I started smearing silicone gasket cement on
nipples before clamping on hoses.  This appears to dramatically reduce the
corrosion issue below the hoses as well as making it a heck of a lot easier
to remove the hoses when they need to come off.  Typically the hose
separates from the silicone, then I rub the silicone off of the metal
nipple.  My impression is it also cuts down on leaks, looking at the
silicone on a nipple after a hose has been removed I see a thin film below
where the clamp goes, a thicker layer between the clamped area and the ridge
at the end of the nipple, minimal on the ridge, and a bit on the other side
of the ridge.

With this I usually find I can twist the hose and it lets go.  If one is
stubborn, sliding something under the hose, as has been pointed out by
others, to create a place for the grip to weaken lets me get them off.

Works for me.

Stephen Nelson