[DeTomaso] Thermostat

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 16:04:09 EDT 2015

How could it be smog when the same system was around in the mid 1960's -
and probably much earlier?

My 428 FE was cast in 1966, and it has a bypass circuit.  Granted, it's
the other style that has a thermostat w/out a hat, but stillŠ

The difference with the 351C style is the bypass port is in the casting
(versus a hose on most other engines), plus the hat attempts to completely
close the bypass when the thermostat opens.

But that doesn't sound like a change for smog.  It sounds more like an
attempt to provide better cooling when the engine is hot.
--
Will