[DeTomaso] Food for Thought - how old are your coolant hoses?

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Fri Aug 28 07:32:11 EDT 2015

I am in the process of redoing my entire brake, suspension, and cooling.
Crawling under the car, I noticed that one of my coolant tubes was original
(spanning the length of the car) and one cut in the middle with hoses.  The
hoses appear to be quite old but still intact.  I am replacing them with
similar high-quality hose from NAPA

Hoses are like fan belts.  They will all fail eventually but usually do not
do so without warning if you take the time to inspect them.  Look closely.
Squeeze them. If they are soft or cracked, it is time to change.

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Charles McCall <charlesmccall at gmail.com>
wrote:

>    While browsing Pantera Place, I saw an article about changing the
>    coolant hoses and it got me thinking...
>    The end of summer is just around the bend, and Winter will be here
>    before you know it. Many will be drawing up a list of tasks to be done
>    while the car is off the road. Question - when did you last change your
>    coolant hoses? Do you even know?
>    I attended an event in northern Spain in June, where I had the
>    incredibly good or bad luck, depending on how you look at it, of having
>    a coolant hose split on me literally as I was parking in the parking
>    spot of the hotel. IA missed one day of the two-day event, hanging out
>    in a garage that was hastily located and the people were good enough to
>    drop what they were doing and source a replacement and change it for
>    me. I was darn lucky to find a shop that I felt confident in and they
>    were willing to help. In the case of my car, I replaced all the hoses a
>    few years back, but apparently the hose that burst was the only one not
>    changed. GoA figure.A So it's "best-if-used-by" date was reached and
>    exceded, and is proof that it is important.
>    During the Swedish/Danish tour a few weeks ago, one of the participants
>    spend many unhappy hours in various parking lots as one hose per day
>    split on him. Tomas Gunnarsson brought a ton of spares, which this poor
>    soul used up one hose at a time. The first time you pull a bulkhead in
>    a gas station parking lot and start changing hoses on a hot car it can
>    just be an anecdote. But it becomes annoying and frustrating very
>    quickly if you do it every single day, and sometimes twice on the same
>    day. I won't say that it completely ruined the trip for him, but it
>    sure put a damper on it.
>    So the question to the Collective is - have you changed your radiator
>    hoses recently? Should you? It doesn't get a lot of press, but it can
>    really ruin your day if it isn't done from time to time.
>    We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

> the links above.

-------------- next part --------------
   I am in the process of redoing my entire brake, suspension, and
   cooling.A  Crawling under the car, I noticed that one of my coolant
   tubes was original (spanning the length of the car) and one cut in the
   middle with hoses.A  The hoses appear to be quite old but still
   intact.A  I am replacing them with similar high-quality hose from NAPA
   Hoses are like fan belts.A  They will all fail eventually but usually
   do not do so without warning if you take the time to inspect them.A

   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Charles McCall