[DeTomaso] High temp paint for heads

MDBell davidabell at att.net
Mon Aug 24 20:07:20 EDT 2015

Chuck,

I've used Bill Hirsch high temp paint on engines and heads number of times over the years with excellent results.  I noticed that they don't carry the pewter color that I preferred though.  They do have shiny silver, black and cast-iron gray 'exhaust and manifold' paint rated at 1800-2000 degrees F, as well as about every factory color 'engine' paint imaginable rated to 700 degrees.  Once cured by heat (i.e. - a running engine), these paints are also solvent resistant.  They brush on easily but thick with little in the way of brush marks, or you can get rattle-can sprays.

The cost of Hirsch paint is substantially more than the hardware store, but very high quality in my experience.  A quart will completely paint several engine & heads sets.

http://www.hirschauto.com/Paint/departments/1/

Dave Bell