[DeTomaso] Rockers

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 23 14:29:56 EDT 2015

Me too.   Not a full restoration but after sanding to the metal, the rusted rockers and lower door panels
were exposed.  I had the body shop (Coachworks, San Diego) cut the rockers out and I ordered new ones
from a vendor in LA. The rockers came in within a week and were a perfect fit.  They patched the doors
and we were good to Go for prime and paint.  Duration was about 4 weeks, start to finish.   I had the
windshield put back in, brought my tail-lights to Coachworks to put in so I could drive it to a friends
garage to begin putting it all back together.  Took me 3 months just working weekends, and I was back
on the road.  I did not touch the engine or engine bay.   That came years later.

Paint and body work cost about $6,500.  I think.  I would have to dig out the records to be sure. I used
2001 Millenium Yellow and had Coachworks black out all chrome trim as well.  Also, does not include any
parts and upgrades I did.  New small front bumpers, back low-profile wing (cosmetic only), etc.

What I meant by not "full" restoration is that I did not touch the engine, engine bay, interior, or front
trunk area or suspension.  Those came later.   ;-)

Terry

"Sometimes I think the surest signs that intelligent life
  exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried
  to contact us!"

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
InSight Sequence Team Lead