[DeTomaso] Hello Houston, we have a serious problem

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 14:44:52 EDT 2015

Charlie,
You may be able to find a competent shop that could weld and repair that wheel, (or at least say they can) but do you really want to and then trust it? If fatigue has set in, then you are just delaying the inevitable and much better to catch it now in your driveway/garage, than on a freeway!. You are also likely using your GT5 for far more miles than the average owner, so why take the risk of being stranded miles from home.
As I understand the main reason Patrick Hals commissioned new wheels to be cast was the risk of racing on 40 year old fatigued magnesium.
On a somewhat related note I had a catastrophic failure of a tire last week on the truck, fortunately I was on a 55 mph highway and obeying the posted speed. The tread completely separated from the tire casing and took out part of the lower front fender with minor lower door damage. I have to say it was one of the scarier moments of my life (and looking back to the crap I did as a teenager that's saying something). I hate to think what damage and cost would result on a Pantera. I think you should bite the bullet and buy a new pair of wheels at a minimum, sell off the remaining good one on eBay to defray some of the cost or keep as a spare (not that you can carry it anywhere though) and thoroughly inspect the front wheels!
Julian