[DeTomaso] SORC 2015

Larry - Ohio Time Larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Fri Aug 21 12:09:37 EDT 2015

Great job Mark!!

You need to stop in Cleveland. :-)

Larry - Cleveland

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso [mailto:detomaso-bounces at poca.com] On Behalf Of mark skwarek
via DeTomaso
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:30 PM
To: De Tomaso List
Subject: [DeTomaso] SORC 2015

  Sandhills Open Road Challenge August 6-8, 2015
Arrived in Arnold August 5th for the races. Afterchecking things out I
discovered that I was loosing some waterthrough the radiator cap. It turned
out that the cap was missing thesealing gasket. Gary Crow, with whom we all
stay, found some innertubing and I made the gasket and glued it in place. It
worked for 2days and then the one I ordered froM Dennis Quella arrived, so I
wasready for the big race on Sat..
Aug 6, The Loup 2 Loup Race
It all starts in Halsey, NE at 9:00 AM. This was to be my firsttime running
the course in my Pantera. I had driven it the previousday in my Suburban as
I did not want to use up all of my leaded fuel.I felt it was going to be a
challenge regardless what I was driving.My race started uneventfull. I
proceeded to drive the coursee mostlyin 4th gear with fifth for those short
straights. My goalwas to average 95mph with a max tech speed of 125mph. The
course is11.6 miles in each direction.
At the end of the first half I discovered that my clutch was notworking
properly as I pulled into the pits. Upon inspection Idiscovered that there
was hardly any fluid in the clutch mastercylinder resivoir. What to do? I
proceeded to chew off a bit oftubing that was for the nonexistent windshield
washer resivoir anduse it to take some fluid from the brake master cyl. And
put in theclutches. It helped some but that was the start of clutch
problemsfor the weekend.
For the return run I was able to get to the starting line ok withmuch extra
pumping on the clutch pedal. I ran the return led in 5thso my time was not
that great.
Results: I placed 5th out of 15 participants in my class.Outbound 97.256
mphReturn 92.097mphTime off perfect +00:03.656 seconds.
August 7, 1 Mile Shootout
Leave before 7 AM to get to the sterting point for the
Shootout.Approximately 25 miles. I'm the only Pantera there. Lots of
'Vettsand Mustangs.Clutch is giving me problems still but I'll try. I
proceeded with making 2 runs.
Results:1st run results 161.2 mph. I did this mostly shiftingby the seat of
the pants and buy ear.2nd run results in 161.5 mph. I did this run
byshifting at 7000 RPM. Need to open up the exhaust more. I decided to call
it quits because the clutch was a big PIA. Justwanted to get home and try
and fix it.
August 8,The BIG DAY
All Panteras are present.
I am now racing in 120mph class with a max tech. speed of 145mph.This is the
fastest avg. speed class available, except for unlimitedwhich is by
invitation only.
The clutch is still a problem but I proceed anyway with minimalshifting.
Having done this course at 110mph before and stepping up to120 is quite a
challenge. I had a lot of fun.
Results:Outbound 28.7 miles @ 116.257 mphReturn 26.6 miles @ 114.365 mphTime
off of perfect 01:07.038 minutesPlace 15th out of 15.
Just need to be better prepairedNext comes SSCC, Sept. 20th and I'll be
there. HOW ABOUT YOU?
There is still time for you all come and join the fun at SSCC. Youdon't have
to go 150 mph. Just have a fast cruise if that suits you.Team Pantera will
be there ready to wecome you. Come and join thefun.
Mark Skwarek# 5481