[DeTomaso] Should we purchase vintage cars for our investment portfolio?

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 23:09:00 EDT 2015

We’re in the tail end of a huge project.

We’re moving the redundancy to the VMWare (ESX) layer.

Remember in the old days how you built redundancy all over the place with
load balancers and active-active or active-passive, etc.?

We’re not doing any of that.  At the guest OS, we have 1 app server (per
type of app), 1 DB server (per DB), and so on.

Of course, if Linux locks up or crashes, we take a hit, but if the we lose
anything at the hardware layer, it just moves to another node.

It’s the first time I’ve tried this approach, but it should work.

We’re also putting the DB on 100% SSD drives.  When I setup a new
database, I run calibrate_io.  It gathers stats on the hardware
performance.  The normal rotational tiered drives run about 400 IOPS.  The
SSDs run a little faster than 4,000 IOPS.  With the amount of money we’re
spending on this project, it seems silly to put the database anywhere else.

Okay, nerd mode is turned off.