[DeTomaso] SORC 2015

mark skwarek ehpantera at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 22:30:12 EDT 2015

  Sandhills Open Road Challenge August 6-8, 2015
Arrived in Arnold August 5th for the races. Afterchecking things out I discovered that I was loosing some waterthrough the radiator cap. It turned out that the cap was missing thesealing gasket. Gary Crow, with whom we all stay, found some innertubing and I made the gasket and glued it in place. It worked for 2days and then the one I ordered froM Dennis Quella arrived, so I wasready for the big race on Sat..
Aug 6, The Loup 2 Loup Race
It all starts in Halsey, NE at 9:00 AM. This was to be my firsttime running the course in my Pantera. I had driven it the previousday in my Suburban as I did not want to use up all of my leaded fuel.I felt it was going to be a challenge regardless what I was driving.My race started uneventfull. I proceeded to drive the coursee mostlyin 4th gear with fifth for those short straights. My goalwas to average 95mph with a max tech speed of 125mph. The course is11.6 miles in each direction.
At the end of the first half I discovered that my clutch was notworking properly as I pulled into the pits. Upon inspection Idiscovered that there was hardly any fluid in the clutch mastercylinder resivoir. What to do? I proceeded to chew off a bit oftubing that was for the nonexistent windshield washer resivoir anduse it to take some fluid from the brake master cyl. And put in theclutches. It helped some but that was the start of clutch problemsfor the weekend.
For the return run I was able to get to the starting line ok withmuch extra pumping on the clutch pedal. I ran the return led in 5thso my time was not that great.
Results: I placed 5th out of 15 participants in my class.Outbound 97.256 mphReturn 92.097mphTime off perfect +00:03.656 seconds.
August 7, 1 Mile Shootout
Leave before 7 AM to get to the sterting point for the Shootout.Approximately 25 miles. I'm the only Pantera there. Lots of 'Vettsand Mustangs.Clutch is giving me problems still but I'll try. I proceeded with making 2 runs.
Results:1st run results 161.2 mph. I did this mostly shiftingby the seat of the pants and buy ear.2nd run results in 161.5 mph. I did this run byshifting at 7000 RPM. Need to open up the exhaust more. I decided to call it quits because the clutch was a big PIA. Justwanted to get home and try and fix it.
August 8,The BIG DAY
All Panteras are present.
I am now racing in 120mph class with a max tech. speed of 145mph.This is the fastest avg. speed class available, except for unlimitedwhich is by invitation only.
The clutch is still a problem but I proceed anyway with minimalshifting. Having done this course at 110mph before and stepping up to120 is quite a challenge. I had a lot of fun.
Results:Outbound 28.7 miles @ 116.257 mphReturn 26.6 miles @ 114.365 mphTime off of perfect 01:07.038 minutesPlace 15th out of 15.
Just need to be better prepairedNext comes SSCC, Sept. 20th and I'll be there. HOW ABOUT YOU?
There is still time for you all come and join the fun at SSCC. Youdon't have to go 150 mph. Just have a fast cruise if that suits you.Team Pantera will be there ready to wecome you. Come and join thefun.
Mark Skwarek# 5481