[DeTomaso] Fwd: Re: While I'm looking for tips.

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 16:59:33 EDT 2015

Be careful in cleaning out the rockers via the rubber-plug openings front & back. The rockers are triangular with a longitudinal vertical divider in the middle that is perforated with many large holes. The inner rockers also have large openings for the seat belt retractors, and in later models, the right side rocker has the AC lines strung along inside. In the bottom of the three-piece rocker panel weldment are a series of thin oval holes that serve as drains for the rockers. The center divider is in the middle of those oval drain holes; if the center divider is smashed sideways in the oval drains, it closes off either the inner or the outer section of the rockers and will thus hold quite a bit of water or 'other' stuff inside. Take a thin-blade screwdriver and pry the center section sideways so its sort-of centered in each oval drain. On dry days, removing the front & back rubber plugs and driving at a "vigorous speed" on clean roads will help to flush out dust, moisture and whatever else is stuck in there. Air compressors also work but may make a mess in your garage, or load up the seat belt retractors so they jam with dirt.

Good luck- J DeRyke