[DeTomaso] FW: Should we purchase vintage cars for our investment portfolio?

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Wed Aug 19 07:28:59 EDT 2015

Jordan,  Bravo!  This post should be published in the POCA Profiles to make
sure it has longevity. I suspect the topic will be relevant for many years
to come.

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Jordan Klein <ohjordan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>    plus for an exceptional example.  Look at the prices of a Boss 302
>    Mustangs, or one of my favorites --the Intermeccanica Italia.  When
>    compared to other collectables, current Pantera valuations may still be
>    on the affordable side of the market.  After all, a new Corvette is
>    $80k on up, I even looked at a $55k pick-up truck last week!  Then I
>    realized, the Pantera hasn't inflated in value, it's our money that's
>    lost value.
>    Without considering monetary devaluation or future value projections,
>    the Pantera has been a good investment, i.e., it's kept its value on
>    par with modern sporty type cars, plus I get to drive it, admire it,
>    and wrench on it.  In simple math, it's value is about 3 to 4 times
>    what I paid for it, minus the cost of insurance, tags, replacement
>    parts, oil change, etc.  It may be stylish artwork, but it's more than
>    a picture hanging on a wall.  So with these factors in mind, what other
>    car might provide even a fraction of the enjoyment while maintaining
>    good value.  That's a question the article's authors couldn't even
>    fathom.  From that perspective, the Pantera is one of the best
>    automotive value investments available to the common man.
>    Before I bought my Pantera, I was also looking for a Dino 246 Spyder,
>    as they were about the same price way back then.  Today, the 246 is
>    easily worth double the Pantera.  But if you consider the cost of
>    ownership, i.e., service & parts, I still think the Pantera is a better
>    investment.
>    Jordan Klein
>    7314
>    PS: Obviously not intended to be a comprehensive dissertation.  Just
>    rambling thoughts about the collector car hobby and valuations.
>    > To: DeTomaso at poca.com
>    > From: jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
>    > Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:03:21 -0500
>    > Subject: [DeTomaso] Should we purchase vintage cars for our
>    investment portfolio?
>    >
>    > This Bloomberg story greeted me at my office this morning. Here is
>    one
>    > person's opinion on vintage cars as an investment. Would you agree?
>    >
>    >
>    http://www.fa-mag.com/news/why-a-classic-car-is--almost--never-a-good-i
>    nvestment-22791.html?utm_source=PW+Subscribers&utm_campaign=f7ee052d6d-
>    PWN_PW+News_081715&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1899ce8517-f7ee052d6d-23
>    2404493
>    >
>    > JT
>    >
>    > _______________________________________________
>    >
>    > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
>    > Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
>    > DeTomaso mailing list
>    > DeTomaso at poca.com
>    >
>    > To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.)

   Jordan, A Bravo!A  This post should be published in the POCA Profiles

   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Jordan Klein <[4]ohjordan at hotmail.com>