[DeTomaso] Jr. Wilson Pantera wing

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:01:36 EDT 2015

> I thought the reason for moving the wing back was to get it into the
right kind of airflow?

Flow over the roof separates at the trailing edge and is essentially
stagnant.  To get the wing into flowing air, you have to either raise it up
or move it back (or both).  Friends at work tufted a 1987 Mustang LX
hatchback from the center of the roof to the taillights.  They discovered
the only flowing air that went over the rear wing came from around the
sides of the car.

> On another thought, it would seem that a wing over the center of gravity
of the car would be ideal?

A local autocross racer has a Lola chassis with a stroked Olds 215 aluminum
V8 and a huge centrally mounted sprint car wing.  It's dry sumped and fuel
injected and pulls over 2 g's laterally at the relatively slow autocross
speeds.  The problem with a single wing is the only way to balance front
and rear down force is by shifting the entire wing fore-and-aft.  Much
easier to do with separate front and rear wings.

Dan Jones