[DeTomaso] Help with Pantera Car covers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 18:00:52 EDT 2015

In a message dated 8/7/15 12 15 55, terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov writes:

> Also, living by the ocean with no garage (carport only) is not good.
>
>>>No.   It's very bad, in fact.   Homeless people live like that.

> > I use my fabric cover then put plastic
> over that.
>
>>>I'm no expert on this, but I suspect that's a bad idea.   If it's
exposed to both moisture and sunshine, you're creating a giant transpiration bag,
which allows moisture to condense on the underside of the plastic.   If you
have a cotton car cover, it then acts like a sponge.   So you may have
manufactured a rust accelerator. :<(

> > But I really need some thing that goes to the ground and won't pss' off
> my HOA and retired
> crabby people.  (They have nothing to do & bitch about everything)  I'm
> the guy with the loud car.  LOL  ;-))
>
> Your thoughts?
>
>>>Grow up and MOVE out of your glorified dorm room (complete with
obnoxious hall monitors) to a real house with a real garage! :>) :>) :>)

In the interim though, I would consider relocating the car to a storage
facility.  Prices vary, but you should be able to rent a 10x15 storage unit
which will provide secure, dry storage for the car.   Lori and I each have one
for our lesser-driven cars, and it's proven to work exceptionally well.
Costs vary based on location, but the combination of alarmed security and
dryness/darkness/rodentlessness make it a far more attractive option than just
throwing a cover over your car and letting the elements and the critters
continue to savage it.

As a bonus, in an afternoon I built a 10x5 foot mezzanine that is
positioned in the rear of my storage unit, and allows me to store all sorts of stuff
over the front of the car, including track tires, parts, camping gear, etc.
etc. so I am getting double utility out of my space, a terrific bonus.

Having said all that, if you insist, Covercraft and California Car Cover
Company both make terrific covers tailor-made for the Pantera.   Pay attention
to their website where it describes the different materials.   Cotton
covers should ONLY be used indoors in a climate-controlled garage, full stop.
They make covers for outdoor use, and one of those should be used,
exclusively (that is, don't then cover your cover with something else that compromises
its effectiveness, like a car cover).

Oh, one more possibility.   Your dorm monitor may not like it, but Lori
used one of these for her race Mustang for a few years and it was terrific:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-69039.html

It's infinitely better than a car cover, and if it was used in conjunction
with a quality outdoor cover, that would be the best alternative to a real
garage.

Good luck!