[DeTomaso] Bumper Types

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:09:35 EDT 2015

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot... But can someone tell me what a rear "round" versus "square" is..and what's meant by a
"blade"?  Is this just the bumper assembly?

Cullen

Cullen,

There are quite a few different bumper types that were made.

The registry identifies them by shape.
There is a flat-wrap, which means the outside edge closest to the car center line
is flat, versus rounded.  Wrap means that the outside edge wraps around the body,
slightly more than the no-wrap bumper.

Many of the earlier cars have flat-wrap, on the front of the car, and flat no-wrap on the rear of the car.  Yet some have flat
no-wrap front bumpers...

Later the rear bumper shape changed a little to be flat-wrap.

Around Jan/Feb/March of 1972 the flat part was changed (probably to make production easier)
to a rounded end, of which there are also wrap and no-wrap variations.

Changes continued over time, but I'll stop here.  It will be easier to understand with images.

If you visit the registry, "Bumper Type" is a searchable criteria.

Go to:
http://www.detomasoregistry.org/Members/Registry/SearchRegistryMain.asp

Select Search By Feature:
http://www.detomasoregistry.org/Members/Registry/SearchRegistryByFeature.asp

Scroll down to Search By Bumper type and select the various options to see examples.
(Use your back button as necessary.)

While Ford listed (by VIN) when some of these variations took effect, there are too many exceptions
to use a car's VIN to know, and sooooo many cars have changed a bumper since new...

There are quite a few cars that have a miss-matched set, even side to side !
Once you see this, you can never un-notice it!

Chuck