[DeTomaso] Pantera #1765 initial startup

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 22:29:40 EDT 2015

> Dan is going to generate a full writeup on it I think.

Yes.  I hope to finish it this weekend.

> The cam chosen was from an outfit I've never heard of called Demos cams

Steve Demos worked for Reed Cams.  Reed was a very well respected cam
grinder but John Reed died in a private plane crash (a WWII trainer IIRRC
correctly) in the late 1990's and the business didn't survive the most
recent recession so Steve went into business for himself.  He has the Reed
catalog of lobes, along with other lobes.  Also, Dave McLain had Mike
Ingram (another former Reed Cams employee) design a series of hydraulic
roller lobes that we source through Demos that were developed specifically
for street Clevelands.  We use them on many of our builds and can get them
ground on an austemepered ductile iron cam core which means you can keep
your OEM cast iron distributor gear.  With the Morel/PBM hydraulic roller
lifters ($300+ less than the Crane link bar lifters), the cost jump going
from a flat tappet to roller cam is minimized.

> it's a 272H grind with .531 intake and exhaust lift, 218 duration @ .050,
and 109 degree LSA.

That's a Reed Torque Master lobe ground on custom lobe center.  Lori's
engine retained the OEM pedestal mount rocker arms which are of the lugged
variety that limit the maximum valve lift to around 0.550" so we couldn't
use a more aggressive lobe.  That wasn't really a problem since she was
more interested in long life than maximum power so the resulting cam is
quite mild but concentrates the power in the RPM band she'll be spending
most of her time.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what sort of fuel
economy it gets.

> The motor generated 377 hp and 395 ft/lbs on the dyno; it easily could
have generated more had she chosen a different intake and a bigger carb

We could have picked up another 20-25 HP with a hotter but still quite
streetable cam and maybe a bit more carb CFM.

> Along the way, Dave performed a few tricks including some clever porting
of the Edelbrock intake, something that most people never bother with.

I'll have pictures of that to go with the write up.

Dan Jones