[DeTomaso] Pantera #1765 initial startup

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 19:46:14 EDT 2015

In a message dated 8/4/15 14 15 14, gudmundfroiland at yahoo.no writes:

> Gratulation Mike. It sound great. What kind of parts did you use in this
> motor?
>

>>>Well, it was designed by Dan Jones and built by Dave McLain.   Dan is
going to generate a full writeup on it I think.   It was something very
unusual for him, in that unlike most people, Lori wasn't trying to bend the dyno
needle.   Most of Dan's work is centered around optimizing the Cleveland
architecture, which means monster roller cam, aluminum heads, 408 stroker,
tarantula intake, massive carb etc. etc. etc.

Lori was looking for a nice, solid, street motor that would have all the
characteristics of the stock closed-chamber 4V 1971 engine, except with a bit
more of the good stuff and none of the bad stuff (like a timing chain made
out of chocolate instead of steel).   Too, budget was a concern so she wanted
to utilize all her existing bolt-on components, which had been installed in
recent years (Edelbrock water pump, Aviaid oil pan, Edelbrock Performer 4V
intake, Holley 650 double-pumper carb, Ford Motorsport timing chain, and
stock distributor with Pertronix Ignitor ignition module).

She was also given a very generous gift from a club member who bought a
Pantera with a 1000-mile fresh 351 engine, and wanted to build a stroker.   He
just gave her a set of stock rods with ARP bolts topped with Ross Racing
.020 over flattop pistons, which cost almost $700!

So, it was a very basic rebuild, attempting to optimize an engine with
those restrictions, seeking a wide, 0-5500 rpm powerband, and OEM-beating
reliability (i.e. lifespan of 100K miles or more).

The cam chosen was from an outfit I've never heard of called Demos cams;
it's a 272H grind with .531 intake and exhaust lift, 218 duration @ .050, and
109 degree LSA.   The motor generated 377 hp and 395 ft/lbs on the dyno; it
easily could have generated more had she chosen a different intake and a
bigger carb, but it may have sacrificed driveability along the way, which is
something she didn't want.   She has a dedicated track car (2000 Mustang) so
doesn't need her Pantera to be anything other than a fast backroads cruiser,
capable of long distance touring when required.   Along the way, Dave
performed a few tricks including some clever porting of the Edelbrock intake,
something that most people never bother with.

We are still some weeks away from driving it; I have to go back to work,
then Monterey, then back to work again so we won't be doing anything
significant to finish the installation until sometime in September, I think....