[DeTomaso] Port Plates

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 20:37:47 EDT 2015

As Dan mentioned, there are two possibilities- one is an actual plate with 4 intake port holes in each half, while the second is a set of individual chunks of metal that fit into the stock 4V ports and sort of fill them up. Both try to promote higher intake velocity for better low speed running. The plates act like thick gaskets- install them accordingly. And if by chance you have smaller intake ports than the ports in the head, that by itself will act like port plates or stuffers with no extra parts needed. The system will be very responsive at low rpms but will fall flat at around 5500- pretty much the opposite of a stock intake.
FWIW- J Deryke (also testing out my new DSL)

   On 4/30/2015 4:13 PM, Daniel C Jones wrote:
   >    Assuming you are
talking about something like a Parker Funnelweb
   intake
   >    with port
inserts that go into the intake runners of the heads
   (and not
   >    the
stamped steel MPG port plates that get sandwiched between the
   heads

and intake), they should be mechanically fastened in placed with a
   thin

>    layer of epoxy in between.A  Clamp the stuffer in place, drill

through
   >    the bottom of the cylinder head intake runner into the
stuffer.A
   >    Remove and tap the stuffer.A  Drill out the hole in the
head
   slightly
   >    larger.A  Coat the bottom of the stuffer with a thin
layer of
   epoxy
   >    (Goodson PRK-99 or Z-spar) and screw it into place.
A friend who
   did
   >    this recommends smearing epoxy around the
perimeter of the
   stuffer.A
   >    After it dries, blend it in with a die
grinder and cartridge