[DeTomaso] Temp Gauge & Speedo Light

Richard Greenblum richard at richardgreenblum.com
Sun Apr 26 13:59:18 EDT 2015

All,

Getting ready for the Rally, looking for insight.

1. Water temp gauge used to work well. Then after the engine got to operating temp, would jump into the red very quickly. It would then work as if the scale had been changed. It would read around 255 on the highway, and after transitioning to surface streets and lots of traffic would read hotter, about the same movement as when it worked properly. It used to run just under 190 on the highway and approx 200 or 205 in traffic. The car is not overheating. I've shut it down with it reading 270 and no gurgle much less spewing steam or water. Waited a couple of minutes for it to heat soak and turned the key. It fired right up and idled and ran perfectly. I replaced the sender (sourced from a Pantera vendor) with no change. I grounded the terminal and the gauge pegs (hot end). I thought that meant the electrical system is working. I guess the replacement sender could be defective, got a new one to try. Haven't found any ground or lead connection problems.

2. My speedo light is out. Looks awfully hard to change the bulb with it on top. Any ideas on best approach? Perhaps just removing the speedo cable?

Thanks

Richard
Austin, TX

Sent from my iPhone